Changing locations for static DSL

Hi all,

I've got a 5-static package from sbc.yahoo.com which needs to change physical location (Berkeley to Davis, CA if that matters).

Obviously I'll call sbc and ask them to move my phone service, but who else needs to be contacted, and how much will change at my end? Can I keep the same routable IP numbers? Right now the system is _not_ using bridge mode, and the router handles login with SBC.

My domains are registered through SBC and use my own nameservers.

thanks for any insight!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska
Loading thread data ...

You will likely lose your IP numbers, to be replaced by a new block. Be prepared for a quick changover of your DNS servers. Maybe you can set short TTLs in anticipation of the change.

If you currently have bridged static IPs, that will change to sticky PPPoE IPs. The implication is that you will need a router or modem/ router than can deal with a block of static IP assigned via PPPoE negotiation. See "

formatting link
".

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Hmm, that's not what I wanted to learn 8-) Getting my nameservers registered was something of a pain.....

Not using bridge mode at this point; the router logs in on its own and uses up one IP number. Seems simpler, at least for now.

Thanks for the guidance and the link, it'll be a bumpy ride.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

You will loose your IPs and your new account will be PPPoE sticky... You won't loose any IP's using this setup. You can Configure your Netopia Cayman (router currently sold by SBC) for smart bridge pass-through by turning OFF NAT, Turning OFF DHCP using your public gateway in place of LAN IP with the correct netmask.. Once authenticated, your router will be assigned the public GW on WAN side and you will be able to use all 5 (/29) static IPs on your LAN with the public GW being the LAN address of the router.

Good Luck !

Reply to
Broadband Techie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.