Can't telnet to my router

I have a Buffalo whr-hp-g54 router and I cannot telnet to it for some reason. When I do telnet 192.168.1.1 it tells me it cannot open a connection to the host on port 23. I also tried 192.168.11.1 Ideas?

Thanks. Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen
Loading thread data ...

I don't know your router, but is it possible to disable telnet access, and might you have done that by accident?

Are you trying to connect from the LAN side or the WAN side? Even if local telnet access is enabled, access from the outside is probably disabled, which is an excellent idea.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Are you sure it support telnet access? Many low end routers only support web access.

Reply to
DLR

You don't know the address? You tried x.x.1.1 and x.x.11.1?

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Hi Walter,

One thing that might work is to remove ALL devices on the Ethernet segment except 1 PC, then from that PC PING 255.255.255.255 and see what address responds...

Cheers..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

It turns out my Buffalo router does not support telnet straight out of the box in normal operating mode. There is a special diagnostic mode for the router which has/allows telnet but I can't fugure how to get into that mode. No matter, as I plan on flashing the stock firmware to dd-wrt which DOES allow telnet.

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.