can netgear gd834g work with cable isp?

purchased netgear gd834g ADSL firewall router quite a while back but wondering if i can use it on a cable isp as im changing soon to a cable provider....

Reply to
jimiwonguk
Loading thread data ...

Nope, DSL and cable are two different animals, with significantly different physical/electrical/signalling interfaces.

What you _should_ do, IMHO, is rent the modem from the broadband provider(*) and buy a separate router.

(*) Since you can't play with it, or tweak it, or even know if/how it's working, I consider it part of the {cableco,telco} infrastructure.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

ic...but does it mean also that i cant network my pc and laptop wirelessly either, as i have a cable modem seperate from my cable isp.

Reply to
jimiwonguk

You'll have to buy a separate WiFi router, which (unfortunately) is what you should have done originally. However, prices are pretty low, so it shouldn't be a big hardship.

I like the Linksys WRT54G (preferably the V4 or GL version), but there are lots of WiFi Routers out there...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.