Can I get two DSL connections on SBC bound lines?

For each DSL connection you need to have an individual pair of wires that goes to your servicing phone switch.

If you can make one outbound call and put down that phone, and then pick up another telephone and make a second outbound call to a different number with out disconnecting or "flashing" the first call then you can have two DSL connections, one on each line.

If on the other hand both numbers ring to the same (regular single line phone instrument) then you can only have one DSL connection.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist
Loading thread data ...

I have a residential bound line from SBC. What this means is I have a main line, and then I have a "child" line that it bound to it for an extra like $7/month or something like that. The numbers are sequential, though I don't know if that matters. 999-555-1212 and 999-555-1213. I've always done this. Even back when I only had one line running to the house, you could have to phone numbers like this (you have to buy a splitter to split out the signals into the two separate numbers if you're using single-line POTS devices. This is not a normal two different phone lines running into the premises. If I were to cancel the main line, the 2nd line would automatically be cancelled. I also can't put services like voice mail, etc. on it. I hope that's enough information about what it is. SBC doesn't advertise it anywhere, but I've had it since the days of pre-divestiture, then through Baby Bells, Ameritech, and now SBC.

Anyway, I have DSL on my child number (999-555-1213). Does anybody know if I can also have DSL on my parent number at the same time? I currently have DSL through EarthLink, but I'd like to add DSL from SBC to the main line. They have a sale of $15/mo for 1.5 ADSL.

Thoughts?

Reply to
DSL_User

I haven't come across this "child" line idea. Is it the same as having two separate lines in a rotary group?

As long as you have two separate lines coming into the house, you should be able to get DSL on both. Why not call SBC and ask?

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

AKA "Ringmaster" -- 2 number assignments on one copper pair. NOT two lines.

You have one line. You can have one DSL circuit on it.

Reply to
David Lesher

Sounds like you have two lines, each running on a separate pair and have two separate POTS lines.

When you look into a normal RJ-11 phone jack, the red/green pair is connected to the two pins in the middle and the yellow/black pair is connected to the two outer pins. The Radio Shack splitter connects the center pair of the A+B port to the center pair of the A port and the outer pair of the A+B port to the center pair of the B port.

Sounds like there isn't any technical reason you shouldn't be able to get DSL on both lines. The only way to know for sure though is to call SBC and place the order. The order takers aren't very technically savvy, but are pretty good about getting back to you if the technicians run into a problem getting you the service.

Reply to
James T. White

Thank you for the response. I don't think it is the same thing.

I have 6 phone "lines" coming into the premises (a condo), but only 2 phone ... "numbers". But I suspect even those two numbers only use one twisted pair. I wish I knew the correct technical term but I've only had to set up it 3 times in 30 years. It has _always_ required me to explain what I want the way I'm doing now, and the only term I've ever heard was a "bound" line.

Just FYI, it isn't rampant laziness. I will call SBC again, but I've found in the past that many at SBC don't even know what I'm talking about, at least partially because *I* don't know how to explain it to them. I thought if I could inform myself a bit before calling again, the conversation might go a little better.

For instance, I had someone call and offer me a phone package (Voice Mail

+, 3 way calling, etc.) and I already had it on the parent line. I said "Hey, if I can get that on my child line, that'd be great." The sales person went on to say, "Oh, that'd be no problem," but as she tried to set up the order, realized she couldn't do it. "Sorry, sir, I don't know what the problem is." Well, I did. I think I have something that is kind of becoming quite a rarity. I first got it when I set up a 300 bps modem at my parent's house. Instead of getting a new line, the phone lady suggested I just piggyback on my parent's line and get a splitter. It worked, was cheap, and I've been doing it since. You can do it on any twisted pair. The phone company does NOT have to run another line into the house.
Reply to
dsl_user

Thanks for the response.

This statement may be telling me what I need to know. Even though I have two phone "lines", I think both lines use one twisted pair.

This is where I get confused. Not only can I call a different number on that 2nd line, but I can call the 1st line from the 2nd line.

OK, let's exclude this situation as it doesn't apply.

Reply to
dsl_user

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I don't have a Ringmaster-type service. I hesitate to use the term "line", but I really do have two different phone "lines" on one twisted pair. I have to use a "Y" splitter (found at Radio Shack) to separate out the lines. The splitter has 3 jacks and says "A" / "B" and "A+B". If I don't use a Y splitter and just plug in a normal phone, I only get one of the lines. If I use that Y splitter, I can plug in two phones and they work completely separately from each other. If I plug in a 2-line phone using one phone cord directly to the jack, the 2-line phone will recognize both lines.

More information...

1) I can call line #1 from line #2. In 25 years of using this service, I've never seen the two lines impact each other. They operate completely independently. 2) I can have different long distance service on the two lines (got bitten by that before.. I changed LD plans on the main line and thought it would carry over to the child line, but it didn't. Most of my LD calling was on the child line since that's where I have my modem and fax machine). 3) When I get my phone bill, I see no split out between the two lines for local service. All I see for the 2nd number is a "line charge". 4) If I call SBC and ask them to disconnect line #1, line #2 automatically goes away. If I disconnect line #2, line #1 stays (that's the "parent" line in the "bound" relationship).

I could do this on pretty much any POTS setup. All I'd have to do is call SBC (or any LEC for that matter) and explain to them what I want. They can set it up without running any new wires inside.

I guess it boils down to my statement that you can have two phone lines on one twisted pair. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm describing.

In light of the additional information I have provided above, is this still your take?

Reply to
dsl_user

Thank you.

Reply to
dsl_user

Agreed. I have NEVER heard of this billing scheme; but you clearly have two separate physical pairs; and some >2 directory number assignments on them. The two lines are connected to the two pairs in a RJ-14 {a RJ-11 means one line} jack.

You should be able to get 2 DSL accounts, tariffs willing.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.