Can DSL be used without active phone service?

I was considering getting DSL and at the same time switching to a Voice Over IP phone service. I read something saying that DSL requires you keep your existing phone number. Is it impossible to use DSL and a VoIP service w/out a standard phone company? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
sm4christ
Loading thread data ...

Depends on your phone company. Qwest does this (its called Standalone DSL through them). Others are hit or miss.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Reply to
sm4christ

Qwest offers "stand alone DSL" without requiring that you have phone service from them. They charge more for that then they do for their regular customers, but it's probably less than the sum of voice+DSL.

Maybe something like that is available in your area.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I just checked Qwest's web site and I don't think they support my state (OH). At least that's not an option in the "your state" drop-down list.

Reply to
sm4christ

Which means you might be SBC, or in the future BellSouth, or whatever. With all the mergers lately it almost comes down to needing to know the specific CO office before you can know your options.

Reply to
DLR

Then you need to contact your own phone company (or whoever will be ultimately responsible for running the wire to your house).

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.