Can a Cisco 678 modem allow pings yet prevent web pages from displaying?

Hi, I am trying to confirm if my web connectivity problem is in my dsl modem or is in the computer(s) I connect to the modem. Note that everything worked fine for years until just recently. All evidence points to the modem, since this problem occurs when either one of my computers is connected to the modem (there is no router. Its computer - to modem - to phone jack). Basically my browsers (IE, FF running on Windows XP Pro) are intermittently unable to display web pages (one day they do, the next they don't). Rebooting comp and modem doesn't help. When the problem arises I can ping pages just fine, with or without IP addresses (ex. I can ping google.com just fine). However my browser won't display the page when I try to load it (I get the page not found error). I rebuilt the TCP/IP stack and ran a Winsock fix, but still no success. I also checked with my ISP and everything is working fine on their end.

I ran anti-virus and adaware programs. No virus was detected, and besides, this didn't fix the problem.

*** So, my question to the group is: Is it possible that the Cisco 678 modem (in bridge mode I think) could allow pings in and out, yet prevent web pages from displaying? ***

If the answer is yes I imagine I can flash upgrade the unit. If the answer is no I guess I'll reinstall XP on both machines.

Thanks.

--Brian

Reply to
gobrigo
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.