Broadband in Lexington, KY

I'm looking for suggestions for broadband internet in Lexington, KY.

- No long-term contract

- no excess download fees (speed throttling preferred)

- good service

- local or free call for tech support

- good price

- VoIP services

- multiple email addresses on the one account

- webspace

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
drystone
Loading thread data ...

Check your local cable company's site (if you have cable service available) for their options. For DSL, check your phone company and/or

formatting link
to see if it's even available. Also see if any wireless services are available. Not just cell-phone type wireless, but also some wireless services that use dedicated transmitters.

Generically, cable is month-to-month, with special pricing usually paid as a discount after the specified months of service. There are no specified download limits, but they do tend to go after people after some unspecified 'extreme abuse' limit. I've used my cable to work from home, and accessed a computer using a remote-control utility for over a year. I never heard anything about too much usage from that. Cable companies have been known to block and shut down services such as file servers, e-mail servers, VPN and similar unless you have a business class account.

DSL often pushes the low-price but long-term-required accounts. They often also offer month-to-month, but expect to pay $15-$20 more per month. Terms of service may forbid servers and similar, but enforcement seems to be rare if ever.

VOIP is mostly an issue of the quality of service, and if you have enough speed (typically 90K of available bandwidth.)

Personally, I have both DSL and cable right now. During May, I had SEVERE connection issues with Comcast. There were FOUR service calls, and they acknowledged that there was probably a flakey piece of equipment causing the problem, but it was intermittent and short-term, so they couldn't find it. For the past 2-3 weeks, it's been fine. During that time, since I work from home, I get DSL. Due to distance, I'm at a slow 1500/384, but it does work and has been reliable. I now use that for my VPN (I like giving the finger to at&t CEO Mr. "VOIP is theft of my services, big users should pay more" Whitacre.)

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.