Blinking DSL light on modem?

We've just got our first DSL service here in the USA with Windstream. We're using a ActionTec modem (GT704-wg) and Windstream (used to be Alltel) tells us that the line has been DSL-enabled for a week now, but the DSL light on the modem keeps flashing.

Windstream says this indicates the DSL signal is there, but is weak: can anyone verify this?

What steps should we take to remedy the situation.

Cheers.

Reply to
geomorphmarsh
Loading thread data ...

I'm curious about this, too. I also have an ActionTec GT704-WG and the "Wireless" LED blinks constantly at a very rapid rate. My DSL service is steady but sometimes very slow. I have had problems with my SWBell local line before, and was thinking that the problem had not been fully resolved. Maybe there is a weak or noisy signal problem, yet.

Reply to
Gordon

The ActionTec DSL light will be off until it detects there's some DSL thing on the other side. It'll continue to blink while its training up to the DSLAM, and then go solid after its trained up.

There's zero config items you can do on the router that affect it training up. You could check your wiring to make sure you have a solid connection, even to the point of hooking the router up at the Demarc point into your house/building.

Other than that, open up a ticket with your ISP/DSL provider to see why you aren't training up. It could be a number of things.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Someone is using your wireless connection. It's slow because who ever is using your wireless is putting a lot of traffic through it. Usually there is a way of turning off the wireless part, if you don't use wireless yourself you should turn it off. If you do use wireless you need to enable WPA so that others can't use it.

Reply to
Someone

My wife's kitchen computer, downstairs is the only "authorized" wireless user. We may have an intruder, or my wife's kitchen computer may have a Trojan or some such interloper.

Reply to
Gordon

First make sure it's not your problem.

Try unplugging all the phone and anything else but the DSL modem from your phone jacks. Power cycle the modem. Does it work OK now? If so you have a device or some inside wire to replace.

If that doesn't fix it, take it to your NID/DEMARC and unplug your house and plug in your modem there. (Long extension cord may be required.) How does it work now?

If NOT OK, call your ISP and tell them what's you've done. It's their problem.

IF now OK, you have an inside wiring problem.

Let us know.

Reply to
DLR

DLR wrote: ......

Yes, I've tried this with no luck.

Is the NID/DEMARC where the phone line enters the house i.e. the original/prime outlet, rather than a secondary/extension outlet? If so, I haven't tried this yet.

BTW, when the phone line (supposedly DSL enabled) is disconnected from the modem, the DSL light still flashes.

I noticed the "Internet" light on this modem--when does it illuminate?

Thanks all for the responses.

Reply to
geomorphmarsh

Yes. This eliminates all house wiring, which is the first thing the telco is going to ask you to do. Amazing how much bad cabling there is inside houses, but at least this prooves to them that its the telco's problem, and makes them get into action.

After the router trains up, and the DSL light goes solid, shortly afterwards, the Internet light starts blinking as your router tries logging into the ISP. Once the login is successful, it goes solid. Usually this should be pretty quick.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Plugging into the NID/DEMARC did the trick. There are heaps of secondary outlets in this place, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the wiring has taken a knock or two.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doug Mc> >Is the NID/DEMARC where the phone line enters the house

Reply to
geomorphmarsh

Now the hard part. :)

You get to figure out which wires are bad and which are needed and hope there's not an overlap. DSL was in trigger that got me to rewire much of my house about 8 years ago.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.