blew out a port

I think I managed to short out one of the ports in my Linksys BEFRS41 router last night trying to set up my laptop -- forgot to ground myself before hitting the keyboard. At any rate, three of the ports are working okay, but as far as I can tell, one of them does not.

I connect four devices (print server, two desktops, occasionally the laptop). I know the router is capable of supporting lots more machines -- is there an inexpensive way I can share one of the remaining working ports between 2 (or more) machines? I'd rather not have to spend the time reconfiguring a replacement router especially if it's not necessary.

Reply to
rafe
Loading thread data ...

ethernet switch (better) or hub (_used_ to be cheaper)

Reply to
Kay Archer

| I think I managed to short out one of the ports in my Linksys BEFRS41 | router last night trying to set up my laptop -- forgot to ground | myself before hitting the keyboard. At any rate, three of the ports | are working okay, but as far as I can tell, one of them does not. | | I connect four devices (print server, two desktops, occasionally the | laptop). I know the router is capable of supporting lots more | machines -- is there an inexpensive way I can share one of the | remaining working ports between 2 (or more) machines? I'd rather not | have to spend the time reconfiguring a replacement router especially | if it's not necessary.

If at least one of the Ethernet Switched ports is still good, obtain another Ethernet switch and chain it off the Router.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

thanks -- D-Link switch ($17) and another cable got it fixed.

watch out for them sparks, I feel lucky all it shot was that port.

Reply to
rafe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.