Bizarre and aggravating DSL problem

I had DSL working through a SpeedStream 5200 modem connected to the USB port on my PC running Windows XP. 2 other PCs, both running XP networked to the main PC through a Netgear EN104 hub shared that DSL connection with no problems.

DSL always had some problems pulling an IP address from the DHCP server whenever I shut off the PC so usually left my PC on for days/weeks at a time. Computer shut down on Monday, turned it back on - no IP address (used internal one). After trying to reboot and doing ipconfig /release /renew several times, power cycling modem, PC crashed and hard drive was wiped.

Reinstalled Windows XP (no SP) out of the box, ran the appropriate networking wizards and got DHCP timeout errors when trying to connect to internet. Had solid DSL light, solid USB light. Tried ethernet, same problem. Tried plugging modem in to ethernet port and usb port on 2 other computers in the house. Same problem.

Tech guy from ISP comes out, checks the lines, config etc. plugs the Speedstream into his laptop ethernet port (Win 2K), works perfectly. I try my laptop running Windows XP SP2, same DHCP error.

So in summary, this is where I stand:

1) DSL modem/cables/ISP configuration seems to be fine since Tech guy could plug his Win 2K laptop into his ethernet port and immediately pull up an IP address.

2) Pristine install of Win XP cannot pull up an IP address either through USB or Ethernet. (Used USB previously and just installed new Linksys network card to try ethernet)

3) 3 Existing installs of Win XP SP2 which on Monday worked by sharing connection with main PC, cannot pull an IP when plugged directly into Speedstream modem through either ethernet or USB. (Doing ipconfig /renew /reset, repair and power cycling modem)

Is there something that XP requires or some quirk with XP that this does not work for 4 different XP PCs, but works for a Win2K laptop????

Reply to
Aikiboy2K
Loading thread data ...

Try a different modem.

Reply to
blitz

Aiki,

First, when you are using a router, you must try and localize your problem as to being router or dsl modem related... The best way to do this is via the "ipconfig/all" command...

In any case, I would 1st powercycle everything and if it was working at an earlier time and nothings been installed, no settings "tweaked", etc, it will work 80% of the time.. to powercycle

Shutdown the PC. Unplug the power to the router. Unplug the power to the dsl modem. Wait 15 seconds... Plug in the power to the MODEM. WAIT FOR SYNC LIGHT Plug in the power to the ROUTER. Verify Internet access (WAN or Internet Light) at the router. Restart the PC....

If you are still unable to surf, check for a valid ip settings by goinf to DOS (START>RUN>cmd [ok]) and entering "IPCONFIG/ALL". Note your ip address, default gateway, dns and dhcp address settings. If you do not understand these setting, post them...

Alternately, if the PC settings look okay (while connected to the router) AND other systems on the router are having the same surfing problems - you are likely looking at a DSL modem problem.

Good Luck,

P2E

Aikiboy2K Wrote:

to the USB

networked to the main PC through a Netgear EN104 hub shared that DSL

connection with no problems.

whenever I shut off the PC so usually left my PC on for days/weeks at a

Computer shut down on Monday, turned it back on - no IP address

one). After trying to reboot and doing ipconfig /release

power cycling modem, PC crashed and hard drive was

networking wizards and got DHCP timeout errors when trying to connect

internet. Had solid DSL light, solid USB light. Tried ethernet, same

Tried plugging modem in to ethernet port and usb port on 2

the house. Same problem.

Speedstream into his laptop ethernet port (Win 2K), works perfectly. I

laptop running Windows XP SP2, same DHCP error.

plug his Win 2K laptop into his ethernet port and immediately

address.

USB or Ethernet. (Used USB previously and just installed new

card to try ethernet)

connection with main PC, cannot pull an IP when plugged directly into

Speedstream modem through either ethernet or USB. (Doing ipconfig

/reset, repair and power cycling modem)

work for 4 different XP PCs, but works for a Win2K laptop????

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.