Bellsouth Dumpng PVC's .. forcing all resellers to use session based PPP & crappy BS routers.

I was just contacted by my ISP who is a Bell South ADSL reseller..

The shoe that FCC threw last year has finally landed.... Damn this one is going to hurt..

Bellsouth is DUMPING ALL...... adsl PVC's !!!!! and forcing all ADSL resellers to resell only SESSION based PPP crap over BS's unstable routers (Nortel Shastas)!!!!

P.S. PPPoX were never adopted as a standard..

formatting link
"After May 17, 2006, new orders for PVC Based DSL service will not be accepted and all orders for DSL must be configured as an overlay of EUA."

formatting link
formatting link
"Beginning November 16, 2005, BellSouth will offer its wholesale DSL services as a non-common carrier offering, and new DSL circuits will no longer be available for ordering out of the FCC Tariff. The FCC Tariff will remain in place solely to serve existing end user DSL subscribers (in place as of November 15, 2005) through November 15, 2006. "

I think this stinks to high heaven, as I run my own servers via a static IP address assignment.

Follow up conversations with my ISP indicate that they are unable to support PPPoA.. So I'll be stuck using sucky/MTU subtracting/ unreliable/latency prone PPPoE.. (bad news..) PPPoA is just a little better, (which can retain 1500 MTU settings) but it's just another session based piece of crap.

Notes:

My ADSL line has been marginal ever since BS added 4Kft of wire to the circuit. So I expect lots of errors and disconnects. This conversion also makes it real easy for Bell South to wire tap any particular connection and send to you know who. It's also part of their plan to muck up the QoS.. sooo...

Looks like I'll be looking for a decent 3rd party web host and downgrading my connection. Any suggestions for a decent hosting service?

Reply to
tkgoogle
Loading thread data ...

Speakeasy/Covad.

- RWM

Reply to
RWM

^^^^ which was sold by it's aDSL resellers ^^^^

I.E. I suspect that the change will cripple most ISP's, driving many of them out of business.

It will also cripple many of those customers who are conned into switching to BS's session based crap. Note: BS PPPoX router reliability&operation sucks big time.

Thanks... I hadn't look at Speakeasy in long time.

Plus, I'm lucky enough to still be serviced directly from a CO with co-located CLEC (COVAD). Whew...

If I was connected via Remote Terminal (which services more than

I've since signed up Speakeasy/Covad and it will take about week before my circuit is switched over.

Reply to
tkgoogle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.