AOL : "Modem was unable to establish a DSL connection".

Dear all,

AOL has a lot of troubleshooting help on this error but it all seems geared towards DSL *never* being connected. I have a different problem as the error only occurs the first time I try to connect from XP. But if I then cancel the error and try again a couple of mins later I can get into AOL OK. Once I've finally got into AOL I can come in and out of it all day.

On things is : if I start XP and wait a ridiculous amount of time (eg

10 mins) I can usually get in OK the first time - but it's not very practical of course.

The standard things AOL has recommended to me include:

- reinstall BT Voyager drivers

- repair ACS files via control panel

- reinstall whole of AOL version 9.0

but they make no difference and are maybe not that relevant if I can get in eventually.

Could "Modem was unable to establish a DSL connection" come if there is some other process running or something in my Startup either missing or which shouldn't be there. For example, should AOLDIAL.exe be in the startup...?

I don't have any firewall installed at the moment, so that's not an issue.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas. thanks, Mark Stratford

Reply to
mark_stratford98
Loading thread data ...

FWIW, I had this error om AOL but *only* when there was a genuine connection problem. When I fixed that, the DSL connection worked well every time without the problems you had. I guess that AOL online help and that "chat-help" are more geared towards solving generic problems rather than strange things like you're seeing (the first attempt always failing).

Sorry I can't help - hope someone else in comp.dcom.xdsl can. ANy theories about long-running startup jobs which might be causing the connection to fail...?

cheers, NC

Reply to
Nigel Curtis

I have seen similar problems occur when the servicing ISP's DNS server was flakey. We installed the (free for educational or home use) TreeWalk DNS program on his computer and let it take care of the DNS problems as they occurred with his ISP. The home page for that program is at

formatting link
if you are interested in trying it.

Another had the user idle time disconnect set way low at the host DSL router. On that one we just turned on a Keep alive feature in his DSL modem that basically sent out a ping somewhere often enough to keep the link up and active (as far as the ISP was concerned), with or without the user's PC powered on.

Try looking at the modem software or if you have a router attached for a "Keep Alive" option and give it a try.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Thanks for your help "GlowingBlueMist"...!

Nigel Curtis wrote :

Yes - you're right there. They just repeat the same manta about re-installing and repairing ACS. I think I'm commited to 12 months with them - but maybe I'll jump ship. Have people found that other providers like BT provide good support with DSL-type questions..?

thanks

Reply to
mark_stratford98

Hi,

Good advice in the previous mail, however the terminology is a bit American specific. For the UK (BT) you really could do with knowing the

- DSL line length - this is the distance from your local exchange where the DSLAM will be located to your master socket.

- Quality of signal - If you are using the supplied modem chances are this info is not readily available as they tend to be pretty basic. Look for paramenters such as Signal to Noise Ratio, Attenuation, Noise margin etc.

- When trying to connect (and failing) check to see if the modem DSL led is on. If off or flashing then your modem is having trouble syncronising with the dslam. Suggests in correct settings (unlikely), or poor line quality.

Also ensure all phones & faxes are connected to the phone line via a filter.

Bridge taps are not used much in the UK so are unlikely to be the cause of the problem, but the quality of copper in the UK varies hugely.

Hope this helps a little.

Pete

Reply to
Ranger-24

You might ask your DSL provider to recertify the line. Things like distance from the central office, quality of the copper lines, bridged taps and load coils all contribute to poor quality of lines. If you happen to have a marginal line quality it takes longer for the modem to symc with the DSLAM on the other end. If a tech checks the line for the above issues he may be able to increase the quality of the line.

You might also help your self in verifing that EVERY device that may touch your telephone lines is filtered...

" Answering Machine " Caller ID " Cable TV receivers " Fax Machine " PC Modems " Security System " Satellite Receivers " Surge Protector " Telephones

The line from the telco outlet shouldnt be over 6 feet if possible.

This is only a partial list of the hardware side of the issue, there might be something else going on also.

Reply to
cosdocs

Until you take steps to definitively define what is and is not working, then everything will be only speculation. First, do you have a sufficient DSL signal or are 'mystery' items eating that signal? Eliminate everything in the house as a suspect. Connect that modem as close to the master socket as possible with nothing else inside house connected to same master socket. What happens to DSL signal? If good, now you can stop wasting time fixing software and start looking for that hidden signal eater.

This is the procedure. Step through looking for where the xDSL signal does exist and where is no longer exists. Once we have established signal integrity, only then move on to other suspects such as software install.

Next step (or previous step) would be to c> Yes - you're right there. They just repeat the same manta about

Reply to
w_tom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.