Another newbie SBC dsl ?

Am a bit confused.

My activation date for dsl is next Tuesday. I already have all the software & hardware. Does someone actually come out to the phone box & do some tweaking or is it done down at the central station. Nobody said I had to be home but -------

Should I install the software before the activation date or afterward? It says something about not registering before the activation date so I was hesitant to put the disk in and proceed.

Thanks for all your help.

~k

Reply to
Kmee
Loading thread data ...

Hi, David -- thanks for the answer ( I won't stay home all day ). Now what about installing the software. Would you go ahead and do it "before" the activation date?

Reply to
Kmee

| Am a bit confused. | | My activation date for dsl is next Tuesday. I already have all the software | & hardware. Does someone actually come out to the phone box & do some | tweaking or is it done down at the central station. Nobody said I had to be | home but ------- | | Should I install the software before the activation date or afterward? It | says something about not registering before the activation date so I was | hesitant to put the disk in and proceed. | | Thanks for all your help. | | ~k |

It's done at the CO. Simplistically stated, the equipment is turned on for your your twisted pair phone line.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Don't have SBC here, but I doubt that you need to install any software at all. I assume that SBC uses PPPoE protocol where you are. Most routers or modem/routers will do the PPPoE interface for you (you have to manually set it up within the router, see the instruction manual). This is by far the best situation.

If you don't use a router, Windows XP (Home and Pro) has a native PPPoE adapter, so you don't need any additional software. Set it up using XP's connection wizard.

If you are using another OS without a router, you do need to install the PPPoE software; you can do it now.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Plug in your modem. See if the "dsl" light comes on.

Usually they just connect the DSL equipment to your line at the CO. Occasionally a problem will show up in testing, and in that case they may need to visit your premises.

If the DSL light is on, then you are connected. However, there is other logical configuration that might be required before the line is usable.

Check out

formatting link
will tell you how to setup without installing any of the SBC software.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

The software is like AOL's software. You don't really need it but they want you to think you do.

One caveat. When I signed up I got a SpeedStream 5100B modem. That has an ethernet connection, which means you need an ethernet ( suprise!) card. Other modems are different, eg some use USB instead of ethernet. So there might be some drivers you have to install.

Reply to
TheHiddenPoster

I just got SBC DSL about two weeks ago. Connected the DSL modem to PC (Windows XP) and telephone line filters the day before activation. Loaded the SBC provided software the day of activation.

Rebooted and everything worked just fine. Been happy camper so far.

Reply to
Mark Allen Mecozzi

You dont need to be home, the DSL signal is "run in" by a pair of jumpers at the CO. The signal then travels across the phone lines to your house to your ATU-R or modem, where it is converted back to an Ethernet signal.

Reply to
cosdocs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.