ADSL Modem with a Built-in Router? Can I connect another router to it?

There is the ADSL modem that seems to have a built in router. Im not sure how to tell for sure, but 'ipconfig' shows the computer connected to the modem as having an IP of 192.168.1.4 and a default gateway of

192.168.1.1. Note, the winxp machine is set for 'obtain ip automatically'.

Ive never heard of a modem having a built-in router, but assuming that it does, is it possible to connect another dhcp server device between the computer and the modem? For example, I have a Linksys voip box (SPA-3102) that has a built-in router/DHCP server. The minute I connect the cable from the modem to the voip box and from the voip box to my computer, I lose my internet connection. Ive tried connecting the voip box to a friend's "normal" dsl modem (one that shows the ip to be 68.243.xxx.xxx) and everything works fine.

What could be wrong? Do I have to disable the DHCP server from the voip box, or is there a way that that the modem and voip box can both act as DHCP servers? I thought I've heard of people connecting routers to routers, but I dont have enough knowledge to really know.

Help!

Reply to
benn686
Loading thread data ...

Yes some DSL modems come complete with built-in routers.

Most can have the router function in them turned off by switching them to something called the "bridge" or "bridging" mode.

Your ISP may have a web page explaining how to do this that you can view.

Post the model of your modem as well as your DSL service provider and I'm sure someone here can tell you how to do it, provided your provider has not locked you out of the modem.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.