ADSL distance

I'm confused about how the ADSL distance works. I've read of different distance limitations ranging from 6000 to 18000 feet depending on service provider, lines, etc.

Most of what I've read indicates that the distance limitation is measured from the "central office". What is that? Is it the building located in various neighborhoods or small towns that service the area within several miles?

If so, how do these "small stations" (about the size of two large home refrigerators) that are installed on small concrete pads when DSL is brought to a specific bunch of homes, affect the distance limitation? What is the function of these "small stations"? What are they called?

Thanks for any information.

Reply to
Vic Dura
Loading thread data ...

The distance that really counts is the length of the wire from the stations you mentioned above. The smaller outlying units are called various things by various companies. But they are all smaller versions of a CO. Some are underground vaults. Others are small pods on the side of the road.

DSL as a technology works out to about 18,000 feet. But in practice there are a variety of reasons that you'll not make it at that distance. And even if you do the speed is minimal. So various companies limit you to distance based on how far the marketing and engineering departments want to stretch things. The shorter they support the cheaper the support costs.

Reply to
David Ross

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:11:53 -0400, David Ross wrote Re Re: ADSL distance:

So that wire-distance would be measured from the nearest "pod" rather than the central office which could be much farther away?

Could these pods be strung out in series to extend the distance from the CO? e.g.

CO Pod1 Pod2 Pod2 Residence

Does anybody know a more technical name for these "pods"?

Reply to
Vic Dura

The usual name is RT (Remote Terminal). They contain active electronics and are usually serviced by fiber to the CO. Often are small huts or prefab buildings 8x9x20ft.

Contrast with "pedestals" which do not contain powered electronics (maybe load coils) and are glorified junction boxes.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:01:51 GMT, Robert Redelmeier wrote Re Re: ADSL distance:

This "pods" I'm seeing seem like they may be mini versions of an RT. They are metal cabinets that are 4' deep x 8' wide x 6' high. Metal doors in the front and sides with 220v electrical power with meter. The cabinets are power ventilated. You can hear the fans running when you stand next to them.

Reply to
Vic Dura

In my neighborhood, the RT ("SLC2000" or "switch box" -- Verizon terminology) is right next to another box they call a "DSLAM" (for DSL Access Multiplexor). The ILECs seem to have made separate cabinets so that if the CLECs are given access to the RT, they still won't have to share. From your description, you could be looking at an RT or a DSLAM.

dj

Reply to
dj

There's no reason since there's no special distance limit between the DSLAM and the CO. (The DSLAM to the CO is almost always fiber.)

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:46:24 -0500, dj wrote Re Re: ADSL distance:

Thanks for the comments. Can DSLAMs be "chained" in series to extend DSL out further distances?

Reply to
Vic Dura

And adding to this, IIRC telco-grade fiber can go ~90 miles without repeaters. I think some of the transoceanics can go further. They often have to use attenuators to avoid overpowering receivers on short runs. And goggles while working is a must!

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:19:27 -0700, "David Schwartz" wrote Re Re: ADSL distance:

I was wondering as a question of logistics. Suppose you have:

CO DSLAM1 and a NewLocation not currently served by DSL

Where NewLocation is further from CO than DSLAM1 i.e. "down the road" from DSLAM1. Would it be more desirable to run a shorter cable from DSLAM1 to a new DSLAM2 near NewLocation rather than a longer cable directly from the CO to DSLAM2?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Although I've seen some around here that are the size of a dorm fridge with a power meter attached.

Reply to
David Ross

Maybe for you but not for them. Phone companies HATE to run cable. It's costs a fortune in labor. So when they do it they run 25, 50, or more pair bundles down poles or even more if underground. Then they splice into it in to get it into a house or building. You get whatever is in place.

Of course these splices are why you can some times discover that "line

2" into your house has a dial tone even though you don't have a line 2.
Reply to
David Ross

Maybe for you but not for them. Phone companies HATE to run cable. It's costs a fortune in labor. So when they do it they run 25, 50, or more pair bundles down poles or even more if underground. Then they splice into it in to get it into a house or building. You get whatever is in place.

Of course these splices are why you can some times discover that "line

2" into your house has a dial tone even though you don't have a line 2.
Reply to
David Ross

formatting link
Rich

Reply to
evodawg

They're called POWER SUPPLIES.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Sometime they are bigger than that. Around here SBC recently dug and built an underground bunker filled with many racks of equipment. The only thing above ground looks like a sheet metal box with fans. It opens to provide stair access to the equipment below.

These stations are called RCOs (remote communications outlet, or something close to that). Sometimes "remote terminals". If your DSL circuit terminates at one of these then the only thing that counts is the length of wire between your home and the RCO. The RCO would typically multiplex everything onto a high bandwidth fiber back to the CO.

Reply to
George Pontis

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:34:23 -0700, George Pontis wrote Re Re: ADSL distance:

That makes sense. I would guess then that RCOs can be "chained" to extend DSL further from the CO. IOW, an RCO can connect off another RCO rather than the CO.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.