Accessing certain sites on AOL via NETGEAR router

I had the mis-pleasure of setting up a netgear DG834 Wireless modem/router on AOL last night for a friend. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near AOL but on this occasion I had no choice.

After a lot of trouble I managed to get online via the router and IE, not using AOL software (although still on the PC).

I have a couple of problems.

1. I cannot seem to get outlook to connect to the AOL smpt & pop. I am assuming that they are pop.aol.net & smtp.aol.net and that the username and password are the same as the AOL logins.

1. For some reason I cannot get to several sites including
    formatting link
    formatting link
    &
    formatting link
    most other sites appear to be fine. The browser will just say opening page and wait. However if I reconnect the USB modem and connect using the AOL software these sites work fine. But as soon as I go through the router the problem returns.

The PC is set for DHCP and auto DNS.

Any suggestions/configuration tips (other than dumping AOL for a real ISP)

Reply to
Baz
Loading thread data ...

AOL now supports IMAP, not POP3 for external mail clients.

formatting link
Note the port settings.

You appear to be in the UK, based on your posting IP. I'm not familiar with how AOL Broadband is implemented there. What happens if you connect with the AOL client through the router with the TCP/IP option? Does the AOL client browser work then? Does the external browser then work once the AOL client is connected?

I've had some success getting hold of knowledgeable tech support at AOL with their chat feature, but YMMV.

Gary E

-- |Gary A. Edelstein | snipped-for-privacy@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply) |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein

Hmm, somehow the link got munged. Here it is again.

formatting link

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein

Cheers, I will try this weekend.

I am a bit concerned that I might need AOL software running to get full internet access though

Reply to
Baz

Baz,

Per item 2, i would try the following..

1. enter "ipconfig/flushdns"
  2. enter "ping aol.co.uk". If the url gets translated (e.g., [66.135.208.97], your DNS is ok. If the translation is incorrect (e.g., 127.0.0.1) a/o no translated at all, check your hosts files... From DOS enter "cd \" (to set the start directory to "root") enter 'dir/s hosts | find /i "AOL' (to search the enter drive for hosts file that contains AOL.... Note: the | is the 2 vertical dashes on your keyboard.

Any Q's, post 'em or email me directly...

P2E

Baz Wrote:

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.