a DSL setup question - Do I need to run the setup software they provide?

I've set up a bunch of ISP connections where the provider gives me a multiport router/dsl modem. I know I can hit the modem at 192.168.1.1 from any browser and enter the dsl account and password and go.

Can I do the same thing for the single port DSL modems?

I assume I can, but just checking.

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

As far as I know there is no way to get to my DSL modem, it appears to be a passive device. I have a Speedstream 5100, the one with 4 lights.

Reply to
Some One

Google: settings "Speedstream 5100"

Reply to
Roy Starrin

That is now known as 5100a. It is just a bridge modem like my 5360 with no access to modem itself. Either your PC (if directly connected) or a router connected to the modem has to do the PPPoE.

The 5100b w/5 LEDs is a modem/router, like the OP was asking about, that typically can be configured to do PPPoE and give out a single DHCP IP on its single LAN port. Or it can be configured to pass through the public PPPoE IP, or as a bridge like the 5100a.

There may be a way to connect more than 1 PC to it when acting as modem/router with just a hub/switch (instead of router), but that might require static IP, gateway, DNS assignments. More details are probably on one of the SBC forums at

formatting link

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.