12/22: "Changes to your Qwest(r) High-Speed Internet Service Agreement"

Qwest send out this email to all its subscribers today, and referred them to the new service agreement to be applied to all new accounts beginning 1/28/06. Existing accounts will move to this new agreement on 11/26/06 or the date any change is made to the service, whichever is earlier.

The new agreement is located here:

formatting link
The only substantive changes I see are two minor ones and one potentially big one.

The minor changes:

1. The acceptance of binding arbitration for all disputes.

This is a sign of the times. Many companies, including banks and credit card companies, have put this in their agreements.

1. The monitoring of your internet connection.

This was probably in the old agreement as well, and is understandable since resolving trouble with a circuit would necessarily require monitoring (at least during troubleshooting) of your internet connection. The particular passage in the new agreement is:

1. Privacy. Under this Agreement, Qwest and its affiliates, contractors and third-party vendors, have the right ... to monitor your internet connection...

The big change is this from their description of acceptable use:

1. (a) Limits on Use. ... you may not use Service to host any type of server, personal or commercial.

I wonder what I'm supposed to do with the dozens of business clients I have who host their own Exchange mail server with static IP's purchased from Qwest.

Reply to
J. D.
Loading thread data ...

Not true. The agreement is for the DSL circuit, not the ISP. So these new terms will apply regardless of your ISP.

The only exceptions are spelled out here:

Section 2(b): Internet Access. You must select a qualifying internet access provider at the time you order Qwest High-Speed Internet service. If you select a provider other than Qwest, Sections

2(b)(ii)-(v) below do not apply to you and you will be subject to the third party provider's terms.

2(b)(ii) deals with e-mail storage space and other e-mail limitations

2(b)(iii) deals with nationwide roaming and dial-in service 2(b)(iv) deals with additional e-mail user IDs 2(b)(v) deals with loss of email when upgrading an MSN account

All the other provisions of the new agreement will apply regardless of your ISP.

Reply to
Someone

I have a Qwest ISP "Business Account". I got the email too.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

It's the same thing. From their accompanying letter:

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently issued an order that affects high-speed Internet service providers, such as Qwest High-Speed Internet (or Qwest DSL®). Companies providing high-speed Internet access now have the option of providing terms and conditions that govern the service under a subscriber agreement with its customers in lieu of a tariff.

"Qwest will provide high-speed Internet services to all new subscribers under a subscriber agreement beginning January 28, 2006. As an existing customer ... your service will continue under the same terms and conditions to which you originally subscribed until November 16, 2006.

"On November 16, 2006 ... Qwest will transfer the governance of your service to the new subscriber agreement."

Reply to
Someone

First, it does not specify "DSL". It specifies "High Speed".

You *know* that this is a typical Qwest mis-step. Qwest supports tons of full fledged, all-out business LAN/WAN connectivity. There is no way in hell they are going to ban servers from all their "High-Speed Internet Service" customers.

I personally know one of these customers with a 350+OC connection. No servers? Sure.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

I got the memo :-) Not sure how this relates to my point.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

I was showing how it does, indeed, specify "DSL."

Reply to
Someone

Then let me help you with my point. My point was that this agreement is not limited to DSL. It includes all high speed Internet connectivity. My point was that there is no way in hell that they will ban servers from all high speed Internet connectivity that they sell.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

That would appear to apply only to qwest.net subscribers like you, not to all folks like me who buy DSL circuits from Qwest but get ISP service from someone else.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I doubt that Qwest even has my email address.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I was speaking of receiving these new terms in an email from Qwest. If they want me to know about them, they'll have to use some other means.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.