1 adsl & 1 broadband at the same time

I have a new adsl with sbc and a cable modem with adelphia i want to know if i can connect both of them to my laptop ibm thinkpad pentium 4

Reply to
mcking
Loading thread data ...

| I have a new adsl with sbc and a cable modem with adelphia i want to | know if i can connect both of them to my laptop ibm thinkpad pentium 4 | | -- | mcking

The Edimax PermaLink PRI-682

formatting link
has two WAN ports and performs load balancing.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

There are "dual wan routers" which can handle to connections and do some load balancing between the two.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

One caveat with these dual WAN boxes that is rarely mentioned is that a single user does not get the benefit of the sum of both bandwidths (for lack of a better term). i.e., if I start a large file download via FTP, that session will get placed on either the DSL or the cable connection and will download at one of those speeds, not the sum of the two. I found this out the hard way after spending considerable $$$ on a Sonicwall firewall upgrade with dual WAN ports that did not work as I expected.

If you've got a bunch of different sessions going on a single PC, or an office with many PCs a box like this may help alleviate congestion.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

| One caveat with these dual WAN boxes that is rarely mentioned is that a | single user does not get the benefit of the sum of both bandwidths (for lack | of a better term). i.e., if I start a large file download via FTP, that | session will get placed on either the DSL or the cable connection and will | download at one of those speeds, not the sum of the two. I found this out | the hard way after spending considerable $$$ on a Sonicwall firewall upgrade | with dual WAN ports that did not work as I expected. | | If you've got a bunch of different sessions going on a single PC, or an | office with many PCs a box like this may help alleviate congestion. | | -- Paul |

This is a load balancing device. It is not just a if one fails it will use the other WAN port.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.