XP or Belkin to manage connection?

After much frustration, I finally did a complete reformat/reinstall of XP SP2 and then installed Belkin software/wireless card F5D7001. While signal strength is always at least very good, I still get drops in the network. I recently installed a Dlink card into another machine and it has XP handling the connection and SEEMS more stable, although I'm not sure because I don't use it as frequently.

According to Microsoft, if I don't see a wireless connection tab in my wireless connection properties, I can't use the Belkin driver to let XP manage the connection.

My question is if I can find a way to let XP handle the connection with the Belkin, is it better than using the Belkin supplied app/driver? If so, can it be configured manually (think I saw a post on how to do this).

Most of the time the connection is good, but just seem to get dropouts at the worst possible times (Skype, online gaming, etc) Although most would say it's a problem with interference, is it possible my DSL provider (Tele2) is just losing connection? Is there a good utility that measures or monitors loss of network, in this case internet? Help appreciated!!

Reply to
gatorcellman
Loading thread data ...

I would say try sticking to the XP wireless connection if you can, it will cause less headaches for (the demanding) windows. If you want to get some tracking on your laptop for networking then you could possibly use the Microsoft Network Monitor tools (NETMON) to get a capture of your network traffic. It is not the easiest thing to setup, but it will detail your traffic on the laptop, including any time you seem to have no connection.

Reply to
RNebular

Reply to
gatorcellman

Reply to
John Navas

Not exactly easier than Netmon, arguably more effort to configure filters for the uninitiated.

I think the capture and decode was the technical boundary, not finding and installing the tool?

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I personally find it pretty easy to use. YMMV.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.