XP not detecting Linksys Wireless USB Adaptor Properly

Several months ago, I purchased a "Linksys Wireless G PCI Card with SpeedBooster" (model WMP54GS) for my Windows XP machine running an AMD Athlon XP 2400 and 1 GB RAM. The card installed nicely, however based on the location of the antenna (up against a corner with tons of wires running around it), I couldn't get anything better than a "LOW" connection in the basement suite where I live. So I went out and bought the "Linksys Wireless G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster" (Model WUSB54GS) in hopes that I could get a better connection. So I uninstalled all the software associated with the PCI card, and took it out of the computer. Then I did a fresh reboot and installed the USB Adapter. The problem was that every time I plugged it in it would recognize it as an unknown device TWICE. After some fiddling around, I still couldn't get it to detect properly although occasionally I could get an internet connection (when the adapter was detected properly). After uninstalling it and reinstalling it several times, this is where I'm at now:

When I reboot the computer, everything loads up fine except, I get a message in my taskbar stating "No Available Wireless Networks in Range." The problem is not actually that there's no signal in range, it's that the computer won't detect the USB Wireless Adaptor. The ONLY way I have managed to work around this is to:

1) Wait for Windows XP to fully load up 2) Unplug the USN Wireless Adaptor (from the adaptor itself) - I then get the little chime indicating a USB device has been disconnected 3) Wait for several seconds 4) Re plug-in the USB Detector.

After doing this, the computer "finds" the USB Wireless Adaptor and then detects and connects to the available wireless network.

This is the ONLY way I can ever get any kind of internet access. Another thing which I'm sure is related is that once I'm up and running, if I go to my Device Manager, under USB Controllers I have:

- USB Composite Device on USB 2.0 Bus (Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers, Manufacturer: OWC, Location: Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster, and Status: This Device is Working Properly ). This is obviously the adaptor that I have to unplus and re-plug in each time.

But under "Other Devices" I have:

- Device on USB 2.0 Hub (the Device Type, Manufacturer, and Location are all IDENTICAL to the above device, however the status says: This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1) . To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

So it appears that the computer is detecting the same adaptor TWICE. If I uninstall the "Other Device: Device on USB 2.0 Hub" it just redeteccts itself each time.

So what do I need to do so that I can just turn on the computer and have the wireless adaptor and network detected automatically (which it SHOULD be doing anyway).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted Linksys and didn't really get anywhere.

Thanks,

Ryan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
ryanradford
Loading thread data ...

I have the exact same linksys wireless card that I purchased for a old dell notebook w win xp pro. Also have a HP laptop that came with a broadcom adaptor. The best signal I ever got with the HP was 'very low'. I took a chance and bought the wireless g range expander(linksys wre54g) from Staples. After figuring out how to set that item up, my signal went from very low or 'no signal' to 'excellent' when I configured the range expander/ repeater. After adding the linksys wireless card that you mentioned to my Dell notebook, signal went from 'no signal' to 'very good' or 'excellent' when I use the range expander. I would recommend buying this at Staples(if it doesn't do the trick you return it for full refund) and at $98.00 it's worth a try. By the way I installed the linksys 'wpc54gs' speedbooster linksys card on the Dell. It did the trick for me(the range expander) all I do is boot up and the icon shows connected in system tray every time(between

54Mbps-48Mbps)
Reply to
Mark

I have used LinkSys cards and adapters for quite a while. I have six of them. My current is an A/BG USB..Have XP Pro/SP2 with all the updates. I have puzzled over some strange characteristics, but learned not to worry about them. One thing is that although you may get an "unable to find internet," go ahead and connect anyway. Sometimes even with an "unable to connect to access point," usually has connected anyway. Another thing is that will happen is that if I try to use a USB "port" other than the one on which the software was installed it will come up with "detected new hardware," and windows will try to find it and install it Another characteristic is that with increasing use the gain apparently decreases and I drop out some access points. I might point out that I travel and utilize many sites. Some free, some paid, some company etc. However, overall performance is adequate..These things puzzle their overseas techs. who are usually acceptably technical..Luck!!!

Reply to
Jose Cuervo

Same type of problems.. Mine mostly went away when I moved the 2.4 ghz cell phone into another room.

Reply to
vapapasan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.