xp not detecting correct dhcp address

I have 2 computers that will connect wirelessly without any problems. However, the third is being a pain. As I've been sifting through options on it, I found that it is not connecting to the dhcp server (my router) at the correct ip. I can change all sorts of other option, but I am at a loss as to how to make it look at the correct spot. I have been looking at all kinds of information today, most of it not usefull, so please tell me if I need to supply you with more information. Thank you.

Reply to
xiong.chiamiov
Loading thread data ...

The make it use static IP(s) on the router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

More information please:

1. What exact operating system?
  2. What model router?
  3. What is the "correct" IP you're expecting?
  4. What is it getting instead? If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, that's the default IP that Windoze assigns if the DHCP client can't an IP address from the DHCP server.
  5. Does your router have any MAC address filters setup? If so, is the 3rd computah's MAC address in the filter table?
  6. Are you using any form of encryption? You should be using WPA-PSK or better. If you're using WEP, be sure to use the Hex key, not the ASCII key. Details on request.
  7. Are you sure you're connecting to your own wireless router and not the neighbors? Is the SSID unique?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

@Duane: I tried that, but it still wasn't connecting. I seem to remember that it would connect, but I couldn't ping anything.

@Jeff:

1. Windows XP Home SP2
  2. WRT54GL (haven't flashed with 3rd-party firmware)
  3. 192.168.1.1
  4. 255.255.255.255
  5. no
  6. wpa-psk; the encryption's correct. It's working correct on the other two, and it worked once on the problem computer, but it randomly stopped (without me changing anything, including (un)installing anything.
  7. Yep, I'm connecting to mine; around me around linksys and deh2, but I'm connecting to nubcakes (which is pretty unique, I'd say).
Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

"Xiong Chiamiov" hath wroth:

You really should. I like DD-WRT v23 SP1.

Yep. That's the routers IP address.

Impossible. That's not a valid IP address. It's probably the netmask or a mistake. Run: Start -> run -> cmd ipconfig and check the IP address line. If it's 192.168.xxx.xxx, then DHCP is working. If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, DHCP has failed. If it's 0.0.0.0, wait a while and it will eventually change. If it's a routeable IP address, you have the DSL/cable/whatever modem plugged into the WRT54G LAN port instead of the the proper WAN (internet) port.

Random? Just try reloading the WPA key again on the computer. Typos are epidemic. If that doesn't play, try temporarily turning off encryption in the WRT54GL router. If that works, check for driver and firmware updates for both the router and your computer.

Since it's probably something on this computer, some details like maker, model, wireless card, operating system, and whether it works with a wired connection would be nice. Numbers, not descriptions are what I need.

It's probably too late to use system restore to put things back. My best guess is that you recovered from a spyware or virus infection in the past and the LSP is messed up. If your computer works with a wired connection, ignore the following. If your computer works with a wired connection, ignore the following. If your computer works with a wired connection, ignore the following. If it does NOT work with a wired connection, try:

formatting link
one of several LSP editors and repair utilties such as Hijack This:
formatting link
that this one is for experts. If you don't know what you're doing, don't try this one.

Be sure to backup the registry before attacking. Do it once with system restore: Start -> Programs -> accessories -> system tools -> system restore and again with ERUNT:

formatting link
main benifit of ERUNT is that is makes recovery of just the registry quick, easy and reliable.

Can you see the nubcakes SSID with whatever client manager you're using on this computah?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is not 192.168.1.1 the Device IP for any Linksys router? So how can the computer be using 192.168.1.1?

I have not be connected to a router in several months. What's the Subnet Mask and IP for a machine wired or wireless that has a good connection, can ping and access the Internet connected to the router?

If the NIC can't get a DHCP IP from the router nor will it work with a static IP if you are correct is making the computer use a static IP on the router, then the card may be defective.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well, I was told not to unless I was comfortable with linux, which I am not.

or a mistake. Run: Start -> run -> cmd ipconfig and check the IP address line. If it's 192.168.xxx.xxx, then DHCP is working. If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, DHCP has failed. If it's 0.0.0.0, wait a while and it will eventually change. If it's a routeable IP address, you have the DSL/cable/whatever modem plugged into the WRT54G LAN port instead of the the proper WAN (internet) port.

I know, I know. That's what's bugging me. When I do an ipconfig /all, that's what shows up. Now, to clarify, that is what shows up as the DHCP address. The IP address of the computer is 0.0.0.0. But that doesn't change (how long should I wait?).

Last time I reset the router, and it worked again. I enabled encryption and everything, and it continued. But then it didn't work any more after a few days. And the firmware and drivers are updated.

Yep. My wireless card is a Planet (off of Newegg), and I'm using their utility. It shows the connection being good for about 4 secs, then goes to no connection for about 1/2 sec, then repeats, which keeps it in the "aquiring network address" stage.

Now, I tried the winsock fix shortly before coming here. No go. I don't know if it will work wired in its present state because it's not close and not mobile. As I said before, it used to be the only computer in the house and connected straight to the modem, which worked. It is an old-ish Gateway running XP Home SP2 (originally ME). Wireless card is a Planet WL-8310.

formatting link
It has been reformatted once ('bout a year, year and a half ago) and is working fine other than that. I am pretty darn sure that it hasn't had any spyware on it for a long time, or viruses either. My other comps are connected with IPs of 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, etc. I have IP addresses open for much longer than that, and no limit on DHCP clients. Subnet mask: 255.255.255.128 Gateway and DHCP server: 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers: 207.69.188.185, 207.69.188.186, 207.69.188.187

I will check again without encryption, as well as with static IP, and report back to you. If it is the card, I can still get a replacement from Newegg, so that's all good. Thanks.

Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

DD-WRT and others have web interfaces. There is very little there that is Linux specific. It looks like an expanded version of the stock Linksys firmware. This may be a problem as there are at least twice as many options and menus. I don't think the problem will be lack of Linux knowledge. It will be trying to decode the strange network feature names.

The DHCP client should take about 30 seconds to give up. Something is seriously wrong with your Windoze IP network stack. It might be getting garbage from the DHCP server in the WRT54GL. Try downloading a DHCP/BOOTP query tool: |

formatting link
do NOT need a valid IP address to use this tool. The XP DHCP client must be set to DHCP (get IP from router) for this to work. My guess is that when DHCP is working, the tool will show a proper response. When it craps out, my guess is that it will show garbage.

Days? Any chance you have an interference problem from something like a cordless phone or nearby community wireless network? The intermittent nature of the problem sounds like interference. (I'm guessing here).

I've have very bad luck with "no name" wireless devices from various mail order sources.

Well, I hate to suggest dragging the computer to near the WRT54GL, but that will tell quite a bit. Maybe borrow a long CAT5 cable and run it temporarily to the WRT54GL. If it works with the wired ethernet, then it's unlikely that it's a Windoze IP stack or LSP problem. That makes it a wireless card or driver problem. However, if it screws up with a wired connection, then it's a Windoze problem.

See:

formatting link
I have no experience with this card. The download page shows quite a few driver and utility updates.

Bingo! Use 255.255.255.0 instead. That's the problem and why the DHCP server is working but not delivering an IP address. Also, did you perhaps limit the number of available DHCP addresses in the router as some manner of security measure? I know you said "no limit on DHCP clients" but I want to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:19:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: : "Xiong Chiamiov" hath wroth: : >It has : >been reformatted once ('bout a year, year and a half ago) and is : >working fine other than that. I am pretty darn sure that it hasn't had : >any spyware on it for a long time, or viruses either. : >My other comps are connected with IPs of 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, : >etc. I have IP addresses open for much longer than that, and no limit : >on DHCP clients. : : >Subnet mask: 255.255.255.128 : : Bingo! Use 255.255.255.0 instead. That's the problem and why the : DHCP server is working but not delivering an IP address.

Why so? Nothing we've heard so far suggests that he needs the wider range. Are his other computers getting their addresses from the Linksys? They could be, since their addresses fall within the range.

: Also, did you perhaps limit the number of available DHCP addresses in : the router as some manner of security measure? I know you said "no : limit on DHCP clients" but I want to be sure we're talking about the : same thing. : : >Gateway and DHCP server: 192.168.1.1

Which is consistent with the existing subnet mask.

: >DNS Servers: 207.69.188.185, 207.69.188.186, 207.69.188.187 : >

: >I will check again without encryption, as well as with static IP, and : >report back to you. If it is the card, I can still get a replacement : >from Newegg, so that's all good. : >Thanks.

My bet is that the interface is misconfigured on the client.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Robert Coe hath wroth:

You're right. It should work with a netmask of 255.255.255.128. That gives a host range of 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.126 (with .127 as broadcast). All his IP's fall inside this range, so it should work.

However, my suspicious mind always looks for settings that are out of the ordinary and not part of the standard wireless router configuration. The odd netmask is one. If he doesn't need two subnets, then there's no reason to NOT use the standard 255.255.255.0. The list of IP's used is also incomplete. I doubt that he's using over 26 computers that need IP's, but it's possible. The fact that it is intermittent sorta hints that he might be running out of IP's in the DHCP address pool. Dunno. I suggest he put the router back to something resembling the simple default settings. It can't hurt.

I've been trying to figure out how one could do that and get a DHCP delivered IP address of 255.255.255.255. It might be misconfigured but there are a limited number of ways to screw up the client setup. If the wired ethernet is functional, then it's a fair bet that the IP stack is intact. The fact that it sometimes works makes the logic even more complex. I don't think it's misconfiguration as configurations don't change by themselves intermittently (unless he's using multiple Profiles or Netswitcher). My guess(tm) is a broken wireless driver.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Just replying to what I can before I change anything. I'll see what I can do as far as getting a cable. Max # of DHCP users is 27, I only have the wired desktop and the two wireless laptops connected, which are getting their IPs from the router. I'm not using profiles of any kind as far as wireless, or Netswitcher. There is a cordless phone in the room, but one of the laptops connects while right next to the problem computer. After waiting somewhere around five minutes, I fired up ipconfig and still got the same thing: 255.255.255.255 for the DHCP server. Using that tool gives me a "no response" error, both with and without ethernet checked. I have the latest versions of the driver and utility; I double-checked.

And btw, my sister's laptop (which is using a 3COM card) worked originally, then wasn't working when all the others were. Now it is working fine, but it's the old desktop that's not. And when the laptop wasn't working, it had the same problem. That's part of what was making me think it was the router at first.

Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

I changed the subnet on the router to 255.255.255.0. Didn't change anything. However...

As I was about to check with a static IP, the computer told me it was connected. This was pretty much right on 45 minutes of the computer being on, according to the wireless connection 2 properties. I can't access anything through the DHCP tool or ping or such, but now I have an autoconfiguration IP of 169.254.30.168 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0. So, according to one of your earlier messages, that means DHCP has failed? But why did it take 45 mins?

Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

On 4 Jul 2006 16:40:03 -0700, "Xiong Chiamiov" wrote: : I changed the subnet on the router to 255.255.255.0. Didn't change : anything. However... : : As I was about to check with a static IP, the computer told me it was : connected. This was pretty much right on 45 minutes of the computer : being on, according to the wireless connection 2 properties. I can't : access anything through the DHCP tool or ping or such, but now I have : an autoconfiguration IP of 169.254.30.168 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0. : So, according to one of your earlier messages, that means DHCP has : failed?

It's a little more specific than that. You get the autoconfiguration address only if the client decides there is no DHCP server. If the DHCP server is present but failing to produce an acceptable IP address, you get something different. (Usually all zeros, I think, but it depends on the driver, the OS, and possibly the DHCP server itself. Sometimes the driver just leaves the previous address alone.)

I still think you've got something misconfigured on the client, or (as Jeff Lieberman posits) your driver is bad. Are you sure you've got the latest driver? And the latest firmware for the card? Linksys cards don't normally take firmware, but I've seen a Netgear that does. Yours is a Brand X IIRC, so it's anybody's guess.

: But why did it take 45 mins?

Yeah, that's strange. I've seen clients try for several minutes before giving up, but 45 minutes is way off the graph. I guess that suggests a driver problem. Or severe RF interference that keeps the client from determining whether the server is responding or not.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Oh well. So much for that guess. With only a few IP's used, the previous netmask should work.

The wireless tool says you're connected but with an IP address of

169.254.xxx.xxx??? No possible. That's the default IP address when DHCP fails. First it gives 255.255.255.255 as an IP address, then it sits there for 45 minutes doing nothing useful (it should be retrying), and then finally gives up? You driver or IP network stack is a mess. I've never seen anything like it, or can I conjur a method to create the problem.

I think the best approach would be to verify that the XP IP stack is functional. That means the long CAT5 cable to the router (sorry). If that works, it has to be the wireless driver.

Well, maybe it's Wireless Zero Config. Some drivers just don't get along with WZC. Try disabling it and use the native card driver tools: |

formatting link
Also, check that the DHCP client service is running: Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services Check that "DHCP Client" service is running and starts automatically.

While you're there, check the Event Viewer for any interesting errors. Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Event Viewer No clue what you'll find, but if it has anything to do with DHCP, networking, or the wireless driver, methinks it will be helpful.

However, if ethernet does the same thing, then it's time to rebuild the network stack. I have successfully trashed one machine trying to do this and had to boot from the Windoze CD, do the "repair" thing, and then spend hours reinstalling all the updates. Argh. Do this only after you've exhaused all other options.

Try to reinstall just TCP/IP: |

formatting link
XP Pro has a built in network diagnostics tool: |
formatting link
the MSDOS prompt, run: netsh diag gui I don't think XP Home has this feature. It's never shown anything useful when I've used it, but it's worth trying.

There was an Microsoft KB article on how to reinstall just networking. I can't find it. Save this for dead last as that's what trashed the system I was trying to fix. I'll see if I can find it later.

I still think it's the wireless driver (based on my sense of smell).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have to go, so this will be quick. I'm not using Wireless Zero, as it wouldn't let me use WPA, and the DHCP service is running. And I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest driver and utility. The download page isn't really specific, but the files have version numbers in them, and I have the latest ones.

Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

Huh? You stated that you have XP Home SP2. SP2 plus the various updated include WPA. No need for any support in the wireless device. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
WPA isn't supported or doesn't work, there's something wrong with your XP operating system or networking install.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 21:03:10 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: : "Xiong Chiamiov" hath wroth: : : >I'm not using Wireless Zero, as : >it wouldn't let me use WPA, : : Huh? You stated that you have XP Home SP2. SP2 plus the various : updated include WPA. No need for any support in the wireless device. : |

formatting link
|
formatting link
If WPA isn't supported or doesn't work, there's something wrong with : your XP operating system or networking install.

You're not, by any chance, trying to use WPA2? That requires a hotfix that, AFAIK, hasn't appeared in any of the usual update venues. I know that because I just happened to run across it today! You should find it with a Google search. Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll look up the patch number.

Reply to
Robert Coe

I can confirm that for even a laptop bought this spring with the latest ms crap on the disk (xp home sp2) doesnt' do wpa2 out of the box, nor after running windows update. Downloading wpa2 required manually connecting to their patch server and then downloading the WGA spyware/trojan before it would let me download wpa2. Thats kind of sad, seeing how wpa2 is essentially a fix for the slightly flawed WPA protocol.

(In contrast Fedora Core-5 "just worked" when I tried to associate with my wpa2-only AP.)

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Yes, I'm using WPA2 (but just plain old WPA wouldn't work), and I couldn't install the patch because it said I already had it. I don't remember anymore what error I got (if any), I just remember that it wouldn't work.

Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

Some updates: Attempting to connect with a static ip did nothing different. When I reset the security to null, everything said that I was connected, though I could not ping anything. I'll try resetting the router again later, but there's quite a bit of stuff I need to do.

Reply to
Xiong Chiamiov

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.