XP Home PC hardwired to router and XP Pro Laptop wireless through 2Wire router...

I am having some problems networking my pc and laptop wirelessly.

The PC has Windows XP Home (SP2) hardwired to the router and the Laptop has Win XP Pro with a Belkin wireless card. I am using a BT (2Wire

1800hg) router with a built in internet firewall.

The PC and the laptop have no firewalls active on them.

The PC can see the laptop in the workgroup, but cannot open it (\\\\LaptopName is unaccessible > > The network path was not found).

The laptop cannot access the workgroup (\\\\NetworkName is not accessible

> The list of servers on this workgroup is not currently available).

Both can access the internet through the router and both are showing as connected in the 2Wire configuration utility (not much use IMO).

The laptop can ping the PC but cannot access any of the shares.

The PC cannot ping the laptop or access any of the shares.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA. Paul

Reply to
phelyer
Loading thread data ...

"phelyer" wrote in news:1126892774.786860.263540 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

It usually comes down to the protocols being used on the NIC's.

I run with the following:

1) MS File and Print sharing 2) Networking for MS networks 3) Internet protocol TCP/IP 4) Everything else is removed from all NIC's

That worked for me on Win 2K Pro machine and now they are XP Pro machines wired and wireless NIC(s).

You can also use MS NWLINK which I used before the above solution was used to allow wire and wireless machines to share resounces.

Long version

formatting link
Short version

formatting link
When I was using MS NWlink, I was using IPsec to protect the NetBios NWLink is using behind the router on the Windows Networking ports. It's on the XP O/S too.

formatting link
The implentation of the AnalogX SecPol rules will give you the protection on the LAN machines and the Windows networking ports automatically when implemeted. However, the AnalogX rules will block file dowanload using the High ports > 1024 so you either diable IPsec or you set the ruuls to open the prticular High port that is needed, which you can use Active Ports (free) to determine what ports are being used. You learn how to set the rules by looking at other AnalogX rules.
formatting link
I worked with a guy who has two XP pro machines using a wired Linksys router and the machines would not network even using the above setup on the NIC's. He implemented MS NWlink and never looked back.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Tardus_merula

Explain how you would use IPSec which is for IP hence "IP Security" policies to work with NWLink which is Microsofts implementation of the Xerox (and then later Novell) Internetwork Packet Exchange protocol (IPX).

FWIW, NWlink doesn't use NetBIOS rather NetBIOS sits on top of NWlink to provide a programming interface rather than use the sockets programming interface offered by NWlink.

Or is that not what you're saying above?

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

Why don't you read the AnalogX IPsec link or better yet implement the AnalogX Secpol on a machine and look at the rules and figure it out for yourself. Why do I have to explain things to you?

Well David I am no guru like you seem to pretent that you are. All I know is the NWlink when installed, additinal things are installed with it such as NetBios i guess.

formatting link
formatting link
AnalogX's implmentaion of the Secpol rules futher protects the machines in a LAN situation. You want to know how it's doing it implement the thing and take a look for yourself.

If you want to take it any futher than that, it's your problem not mine.

I really am tired of you and your lurking Pamper shit.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I really am tired of you David you are worst than a two year old running around in a Pamper. And I don't want to hear your BS about keep it technical, because technically, you can stick it right up your ass.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

And one other thing you ass wipe, I was working on the Novell server platform back in 1996 through 1999 using LWLink on Win 3.x or/and DOS 6.22, Win 9'x and Win NT 4 workstations and know what NWlink is about before the facility went to all MS Win 2K servers and workstations in 1999. I didn't need a damn history lesson from you on it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks all for your responses, but can't we all just get along? ;)

I tried this, but it did nothing at all (or at least nothing I could see)

Again, nothing visible happened

Yes, that is correct. Everything shows "Obtain IP addresses automatically

Finally, only one is cabled to the router and it is using the cable that came with the router (but I have also tried replacing the cable).

I have also had another laptop hardwired to the router and it worked perfectly so I am assuming that this is something to do with the wireless only (although it is entirely possible that I don't know what I am talking about).

Any other sugestions gang?

I will try to read through the other posts and work out what is a suggestion and what is an arguement later today.

Many thanks. Paul

Reply to
phelyer

My last parting shot as I have to hit the door running in the AM to make that 2.5 hr trip to O'Hare International Airport to catch a flight to Reno, NV and work a contract to convert all Web, Windows Desktop and Windows Server applications using Win XP Pro and Win 2k3 and IIS for their ASP 3.0 using JavaScript and ASPscript and Visual Studio 6 business solutions and convert them all to ASP and VS .NET business solutions. And they are paying some long $$$$$$$ to do it. :)

I don't give a rat ass if these links are concering Win 2K, because XP Pro/Home and Win 2K3 are NT base O/S(s) and IPsec runs on them and I have implemeted the AnalogX SecPol rules at least on Win 2K and XP Pro and I know the rules protect, along with using MS NWlink myself on the Win2K machines. in a wireless where the BFW11S4 v1 router would not allow a connection between a wire and wireless machine due to WEB being enabled and the NetBeui on the NIC's. Little did I know David that it would have worked with Netbeui being removed as I was told that NetBeui was not a routable protocol and that was the problem. But little did I know about it until such time that I converted the machines to XP pro with NetBeui not being there and it worked. So most likely it would have worked on Win 2K too had I just left NetBeui off and not went to NWlink.

But hey, I am not a fuclking guru like you and this old dog is still learning and I have been programming since 1980 on the IBM mainframes and client server platforms and woking in the IT field since 1971 when Apple was in a wodden box.

David, you are an absolute f****ng ass hole.

I'll continue to deal with your lunatic ass from Reno. :)

Later!

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That is WEP not WEB as I don't want you going off with a Pamper pissing on me.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

OK, that eliminates the obvious problem.

Try it by IP address instead: Start -> Run -> \\\\192.168.1.xxx It should show the same directory listing as using the NETBIOS name. This is a common problem when the Windoze Browser Election kludge screws up. Doing it by IP address directly bypasses the NETBIOS to IP name resolution pretzel.

Ummmm, try it like this: NET VIEW /WORKGROUP:workgroup_name

Can I assume that both machines have IP addresses assigned by the DHCP server inside the 2wire router? If either is statically assigned, switch it to DCHP (server assigned IP, gateway, netmask, DNS).

OK, this is bad. I had exactly the same problem this week. New laptop was acting strange. Sometimes would not get a DHCP assigned IP on reboot. Other machine was also doing weird things like hanging in the middle of downloads. One machine could ping the other, but not the reverse. Both had no difficulty connecting to the internet. Both went to a common 8 port ethernet switch.

After tinkering with the network settings, I started to suspect the hardware. I eventually found that BOTH ethernet cables were wired wrong with split pairs. Of course, I replaced the cables one at a time so finding this took a bit longer than usual. After replacing the cables, they could ping each other.

So, start with replacing the cables. Use ping to do the testing as it's the fastest and is a fundamental requirement for connectivity. Use: IPCONFIG to verify that the IP addresses are what you think they are and have not changed during the testing.

It'a also good form to have duplicated accounts on both machines. If you get an error message where Windoze demands a password to open a share, it's probably due to the lack of a common user account.

Also, make sure that the workgroup name is the same on both machines. Right click on My Computah. Select System Name.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Duane, once again slowly, IPSec is an IP only security option, it has NOTHING to do with NWLink.

I'm neither pretending nor claiming but i'll provide the correct info. Yes when NWlink is installed, a programming wrapper for NetBIOS is provided over the top. Reason being that the MS Server service only knew how to interface with NetBIOS hence, it worked on top of NetBEUI (for which the only programming interface is NetBIOS, on top of NWLink via the NetBIOS wrapper and on top of TCP because there's also a NBT driver to sit NetBIOS API's on top of TCP). It was until later that the server service could be direct hosted.

Yes, for the IP stack.

It becomes a problem for others if they follow the misleading advice. :)

If you're going to post duff shit, i'll put a pamper on it so you're going to have to deal with it. :)

Oh and if you want to start posting will waving like:-

"And one other thing you ass wipe, I was working on the Novell server platform back in 1996 through 1999 using LWLink on Win 3.x or/and DOS

6.22, Win 9'x and Win NT 4 workstations and know what NWlink is about before the facility went to all MS Win 2K servers and workstations in 1999. I didn't need a damn history lesson from you on it."

I was supporting MSDOS v1 in 1985, Windows 1.0, MS Net and Novell 2.0 in

1988, then Lan Manager and certified on NT in 1993 when NT 3.1 was still beta so yeah, I think I have a better clue, oh and programmed to the Windows API for both real mode and protect mode means writing code to run on Windows 2.0 to the real Windows API (and lets mix in some assember too) before the noddy VB thing ever came to be, I missed Windows 1.0 - sorry.

Sorry that you didn't actually take a history lesson Duane but you need to look up those protocol stacks again and see where each bit fits to

*really* understand it.

You're right though Duane, we're all learning, it's just that some of us deal with the learning experience more maturely than others. I asked you to explain your implementation but sadly got the expected response.

I'm done till next time. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Duane,

Fair play - if you don't get along, you don't get along :)

I am still at a bit of a loss though - this is my first wireless network and I am well and truly stumped.

Can you give me any links that explain what I would need to do in words of one syllable?

Many thanks (and enjoy Reno - got to be better than London) Paul

Reply to
phelyer

I'm not part of the ongoing pissing match.

I'll assume that DHCP delivered valid IP addresses and that you're not trying to use 169.254.xxx.xxx. If you're getting 169.254.xxx.xxx, then DHCP didn't work.

Also try to ping yourself to see if that works. It should.

Try it using the various computers pointing to themselves: \\\\IP_ADDRESS_OF_MACHINE \\\\NETBIOS_NAME or perhaps: \\\\127.0.0.1 If it shows available shares, you have file sharing and most of Windoze networking enabled and functioning. If it still shows nothing, then you probably have file sharing turned off and will see nothing.

If you wanna dive deeper, try: Start -> Run -> cmd NET CONFIG WORKSTATION NET CONFIG SERVER NET STATISTICS WORKSTATION NET STATISTICS SERVER NBTSTAT -n NETSTAT -n If it really is a wireless problem, these won't show much. However, if you have something wrong with networking on the XP Pro Laptop (a model number would be nice), then these will usually offer some clues. (Please don't post the output).

Temporarily disable the wireless on the XP Pro Laptop and plug in a wired ethernet cable. Duz that work? If so, then Windoze networking and sharing is setup correctly.

You mentioned that you can browse the internet via the wireless XP Pro laptop. Can you verify this again. If the two computers can both see the internet, and you're absolutely sure there's no personal firewall software running on either machine, they should see each other just fine.

It possible that it's the wireless, but methinks you should first verify that it's not the operating system or set by bypassing the wireless with an ethernet cable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well David listen to me *slowly*. I can use IPsec to do whatever I want to do, because it has a limited FW like ability to protect a machine as the OP indicates he was not using a packet filter/personal FW solution on the machines. It's just another solution. IPseccan stop inbound or outbound traffic by port, protocol, IP, Subnet mask and by DNS and it's being talked about in the links I have provided concerning IPsec being used in a FW like manner.

You bring up NetBIOS and I showed you where IPsec can be used to protect a machine in a NetBIOS situation. And now you're on some BS about NWlink, which I absolutely don't give a *rat's ass* as to what you're talking about.

I am tired of you David (you absolute Pamper pissing *clown*) and I want you to listen slowly. From now on, you can kiss my ass with your *Tongue* hanging out.

I am about to your university college boy tired/trifling ass so I don't see you.

I am on my way to Reno.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hey you're welcome and I hope something's I have suggested will help you out. No, I cannot get along with that *clown* David that continues to act like a little *bitch* with his he is a *bitch* postings. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I got another hour on so before I hit the road but I got to leave to take care of a couple things before I hit the road to Chicago to catch the flight to Reno.

Make sure you take care of the basics first.

formatting link
As far as getting the sharing going between two machines using a router, I would to do with all wire first to make sure there are no issue in sharing resources between machine before trying it all wirelessly or a wire/wireless connections between machines. And by the way, the AnalogX implementation of IPsec rules will allow the machine to network when implemented and still protect them on the LAN.

What kind of basic information are you looking for which you can most likely find by using Google?

I got to make a run I'll be back.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You brought it up and it was all bollocks.

Reply to
David Taylor

I don't care anymore David stop posting to me acting like a *bitch*.

-- soft logical

Signing off until Reno

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Jeff,

Thanks for sticking with me here.

The IP addresses are all 192.168.1.XX.

The PC and laptop can ping themselves both by name and by IP address.

Net view \\\\machine_name and net view \\\\IP_addr both show the shares when I do it for the system I am using, but not when I do it for the networked system (it then says XXXXXXXX).

The set of commands you suggested (Net Config Workstation onwards) I have tried, but do not really understand, although both show Workstation Domain DNS Name as Null - although I do not know if this should be anything. What should I look out for in these results?

The laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-F403 and it has XP Pro with no service pack.

I have connected the laptop directly to the router with a cable and it all worked as expected, file shares and internet.

Using wireless the laptop is able to use the internet connection without a problem. The laptop has no third party firewall installed, and as far as I know the original (non service pack) XP has no firewall, at least I can't see it to switch it off in the same way as I have on the XP Home machine.

Many thanks, Paul

Reply to
phelyer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.