xfinity

I have recently found xfinity on my street, and last night at another location. I can connect, but no data flow. According to the article, they can identify subscribers, but how ?

formatting link

Greg

Reply to
gregz
Loading thread data ...

I can see one now too, but it is kind of weak. I can't connect, but I suspect it is due to low power. I'm going to start checking for these in more densely packed areas where I'm more likely to be closer to a box.

Reply to
miso

MAC ? UniqueID ? Google et al supercookies ? Geolocation ? Shove all that in a big database and they can ID you. No point in wardriving if your car is announcing who and where you are or if that camera in the park is filming you at that exact geolocation your mobile is giving them. Or if your browser is shouting "Hi, it's Jim !!!" Things are harder these days. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

War driving, if you refer to FINDING open wifi, is a passive exercise. Using the wifi is another story. I sniffed two of those xfinity sites today but they were too weak for a solid connection.

Reply to
miso

If you consider driving around "promiscuously" with a notebook on your lap and an antenna hanging out of the window passive, yes, in an active kind of way. ;)

Buy yourself a parabolic. Or just use a cantenna. Might be the boost you need. Don't forget to change your MAC and use IPV4. Your adapter is probably in a database somewhere. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Passive and active have specific meanings when it comes to radio technology. Wardriving is passive in the sense that your equipment doesn't transmit at all, it just listens to the names that other networks are shouting out.

This is the same as sitting in front of a radio and flipping through the dial, stopping when you hear a station and jotting down the time, what your heard, and the station's name once announced. Wifi just announces more often.

An active activity is responding to a network and sending a "Can I join the network? DHCP, please assign me an IP?" request.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Yep, Kismnet is passive unless you are wep cracking, and I have that feature turned off. Netstumber is the active sniffer.

It is cheap enough these days just to buy a panel antenna and be done with it. Two panel antennas and two dongles if you want to war drive, one on each side of the car. Or one omni on top.

These days the devices you sniff are more interesting than any wap since most are encrypted. Railroads and high tension utility poles often have wifi. Also lots of video out there, but there doesn't seem to be a universal video standard.

Back to infinity, they have an app and a downloadable database of their wifi locations. It might be on the internet as well, though the app is free and no password is required.

I can tell you the database isn't up to date since the one I can sniff from my house isn't on it.

Reply to
miso

I was joking. "promiscuously". Never mind...... []'s

Reply to
Shadow

My one tablet definitely is more responsive on wifi sensitivity.

Tonight. I went to my side patio. I connect to xfinity. Looking looking, no response on Facebook. Then on one tablet I see these web browser logins. Login with my user pswd, it connects. On line.

The other tablet had a download message. I clicked on that and web browser opened to login.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

More info.

formatting link

Greg

Reply to
gregz

oops.

Looking at guest rates, they might make a bit of money. Seems pretty stiff.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

formatting link

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Opps again........

formatting link

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Well the webpage wifi map doesn't work for me. However, I have the app.

Reply to
miso

Passive wifi sniffing means you need to be in monitor mode, not promiscuous mode, he said pedantically. There is a slight nuance to this that you can look up if, well, you want to be pedantic.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.