WUSB11 Version 2.6 external antenna

Hello,

I have been trawling the web looking for a way to add an external antenna to my Linksys WUSB11 version 2.6. I know that I cohuld use a pigtail off the ANT1 connector off the PCB, but on opening up I see that there is an ANT2 connector. the closest I have found is

formatting link
but that is it.

Anyone have any further ideas. The problem is that I don't know what RF connector is appropriate for the pad layout that I can see.

thanks,

Al.

Reply to
al.dyne
Loading thread data ...

Trawling? What will we do when we run out of metaphors?

ANT2 won't work. There are a bunch of components C18, C71, and C33 that are missing. In their place is R65, which is probably a 50 ohm terminator. There's also a small chance that the USB driver does not enable the diversity reception feature. If you go this route, you'll need to: 1. Remove R65 2. Determine the values of the missing matching network components. 3. Attach a pigtail. 4. Determine if the ANT2 port is active.

It's a bit difficult to tell for sure, but it appears that under all that solder on ANT1, there may be sufficient pads to install an SMB, SMC, MCX, MMCX, etc connector. The basic idea is to: 1. Get as much grounding as possible to the shield. 2. Keep the exposed unshielded part of the center conductor as short as possible. 3. Make sure it's mechanically stable.

If a connector won't work, then the obvious alternatives are to: 1. Chop the antenna and attach a connector. There may be something useful inside the antenna that can be used for a connection. 2. Replace the coax cable and solder a larger pigtail to ANT1. The tiny coax used is very high loss but is acceptable for very short lengths.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

David Taylor just used the existing antenna, poked into a can.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.