WRT54GS without ADSL connect to WUSB54GS

Hi,

I have a linksys WRT54GS V4 router and a WUSB54GS usb wireless network adapter.

I power on the router and connect it with a Cat5 (supplied) to my computer's network card. log in to the router with http://192.168.1.1/ set it up with the SSID & WEP and and it all appears to be working fine.

So I unplug the Cat5 from the router and the computer and plug in a WUSB54GS network adaptor. After everything is set up, WEP, SSID I then try to connect to the router wirelessly and it cannot find a network.

I do a site survey and nothing.

My router is not connected to and ADSL line, it's just powered up. Should I not be able to connect to the router?

Thanks Stephen

Reply to
snm
Loading thread data ...

Plug the WUSB54GS in to the PC - are the drivers all correctly loaded and the device functioning?

On the router, disable WEP encryption, enable SSID broadcast.

Make sure that you're correctly entering the SSID of the router for the WUSB54GS on the PC.

Can you connect?

Reply to
__spc__

As _spc_ said, try it without encryption and with SSID broadcast on.

Also, be aware that WEP keys can be derived in two mutually exclusive ways from passphrases, which might be screwing you up. WEP keys should always be typed in in HEX to avoid this problem.

And if it's available, you should use WPA instead, as it's secure, where WEp really isn't.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.