WRT54GS Low output power - New out of box

Hi all,

Just received a new WRT54GS with the intention of loading it with Sveasoft firmware.

Before I did that I thought I would test it so powered it up and made sure radio was enabled.

Comparing it side to side with my Linksys WAP11 AP making measurements with Net Stumbler with both AP's on different RF channels I reckon the WRT54GS in around 20-30dB down on the WAP11 anywhere around the house.

Interestingly it came flashed with v2.09.1, I flashed it with the latest from the Linksys site which did seem to make some difference but it was still way off the WAP11. I even forced it to "B" only as my measurements were all taken with a Cisco "B" card in my laptop.

I am sending it back and getting a replacement but would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced similar.

I appreciate with sveasoft I can change the power but I thought as the difference is so huge there must be a fault with it?

Regards,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Westwell
Loading thread data ...

That's about right, Cisco has limited the power output ont eh WRT54G to

28dB. Sveasoft will allow you to utilize the full power of the card.

Sean Hartling Skybeam High Speed wireless internet

Reply to
Sean

"Sean" wrote in news:S4xtd.650$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

I have some customers that have the WRT54G, and I am thinking about installing the Sveasoft firmware to increase the output. I have no experience with them, nor do I plan on buying a Linksys to test it. Have you had good experience with this firmware?

Reply to
The Chairman

Is there any application for Mac OS X that lets you monitor the signal level in dB?

Thanks.

Reply to
meATprivacyDOTnet

If I understand what everyone has written on this subject, does that mean that I could have increased the range of the Linksys WRT54GS wireless signal in my home by implementing the Sveasoft firmware rather than by buying a Linksys WRE54G expander?

Also, if the power output of the Linksys WRT54GS is 28dB, what would be the power output after implementing the Sveasoft firmware?

John

Sean wrote:

software for

Reply to
jomason

Yes, I've been very happy with it and I implement the Sveasoft software for customers that have huge houses or for bridging between 2 buildings a short distance. For these type of applications it saves a lot of money instead of buying the high priced bridged radio systems, i.e. motorola, Aperto, Tranzeo, Redline, etc.

Reply to
Sean

The output of the linksys is not 28dB, Linksys quote either 15dBm (32mW) or

18dBm (64mW) depending which document you read.

With the Sveasoft firmware you can change the power setting, not sure of the figures though, you can also select antenna's

Regards,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Westwell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.