WRT54GS does not get IP address from provider

Hi all,

My WRT54GS works fine once it's up and running but if I have to unplug it or restart it, it does not get an IP address from my provider. My older BEFSR41 works fine in the same situation. I can plug in the SR41, get an IP address and then reconnect the WRT54GS and it keeps that IP address. So for some reason the wireless router cannot request an IP address.

Has anyone had this problem?

I'm running v3.37.2 firmware on the WRT54GS.

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
kebuchan
Loading thread data ...

Do you restart the modem when you plug in the GS? That is how you have to do it, plug in the router and then do a reset of the cable modem and then SOMETIMES a reset of the router.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

The latest firmware for the WRT54GS is 3.37.6 try it and see if it works for you.

Reply to
Christian

I've tried all different combinations etc. However, the process I would go through would be to start the cable modem, wait for it to initialize and then plug in and start the router. Which isn't what you recommended.

The strange thing is my wired router has no problems either way. I just need to plug it in and away it goes and gets an IP address etc.

Had a problem the other day too, thunderstorm, had a couple of power interruptions and the router/modem rebooted.

I should probably invest in a UPC ... but that's besides the point.

Kevin

Reply to
kebuchan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.