WRT54GS as WAP

Thanks in advance for any help. I currently use a WRT54GS as a wireless router. I have 2 PC's that are in rooms connected by wire and would like to move the WRT54GS to the other computer. I bought a BEFSR41 to use as the "primary" router connected to my cable modem. I have found instructions on converting my wireless router to act as WAP, but I'm a little confused. After converting the WRT54GS, can I move it to to second room and run the cable from the wall into the router and then another cable from the converted router to the second PC? Basically I want the 2 PC's wired to the BEFSR41, but have the WRT54GS in the room with the second PC. Thanks very much.

Reply to
opchiasm
Loading thread data ...

Unless I'm missing something, you don't need two routers and you don't need wireless. You could return either one of them and just use the other as a router. The wire thru the wall goes straight to the pc.

Or is it that you want to connect some computers wirelessly in the second room?

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Reply to
opchiasm

OK. Gotcha. You do want to hook up other computers wirelessly. What you are doing makes sense.

Yes.

It can work in a couple of different configurations. You are on the right track. What you probably want to do is to turn off DHCP on the second router and let it act as a switch along with the AP. I forgot how the linksys setup goes, so no help on setup here...

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.