Wrt54gl Router Antena Adapter Question

I have a wrt54GL router I am wanting to remove the antenas and attach to a yagi. If i am correct I have an RP sma on the end of the yagi, it is a small connector. Would this be the correct adapter.

formatting link
I think it looks correct, but wanted a second opinion, also wondering does it matter which side I connect the yagi to.

Bryon

Reply to
Bryon Friesen
Loading thread data ...

Your WRT54GL should have RPTNC connectors on it so you will need an adapter to make the connection to your antenna (whatever type connector that is)

Adair

formatting link

Reply to
Adair Witner

"Bryon Friesen" hath wroth:

Wrong connector. The WRT54GL uses an RP-TNC and not an RP-SMA.

Here's an adapter you can attach on the end of the cable from antenna which will probably have an N connector.

If you're using really stiff cable (i.e. LMR-400 or LMR-600), then I suggest you use a pigtail instead of an adapter.

Yep. You'll want to disable diversity reception when you install an external antenna. You can live without it, but which antenna you connect with is a crap shoot with two radically different antennas. If you can't or won't disable one antenna, then at least unplug the unused antenna.

The stock Linksys firmware does NOT have a setting for selecting a single tx or tx antenna:

I suggest you install DD-WRT v23 sp2 replacement firmware:

which does have such a setting:

When it says "left" or "right" antenna, it means when looking at the FRONT of the WRT54GL.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for all the insight. The cable very stiff, the pig tale idea I think would be better. The cable is currently attached to a wireless pci card in the computer, but has broken two connectors off the cards. I figured if I can find an adapter and hook it up to the router instead, then I could just connect the computer with regular network cable. That is why I need an adapter

Bryon

Reply to
Bryon Friesen

If you really do have an RP-SMA connector on the end of your antenna cable, then it appears that you will need one of these:

formatting link
I have a couple of RP-SMA adapters that came with antennas. They adapt an RP-SMA antenna (made for most routers) to a RP-TNC (your Linksys).

But you probably want a pigtail.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.