WRT54G + WET11 + BEFW11S4 frustration

I have the above devices with latest stock firmware.

1st network is WRT54G as a gateway router for 3 wired PCs with cable modem tied to WAN port. Router IP is 192.168.1.1, with other PCs getting .100, .101, etc. assigned by router's DHCP.

2nd network is BEFW11S4 with one wired PC. Also setup as gateway router with router IP 192.168.2.1, and PC assigned 192.168.2.100 by this router's DHCP. Not sure if it should be gateway or router mode, and what WAN IP should be assigned.

WET11 should bridge the two networks. It should talk wirelessly to 1st network, but be wired to 2nd network. I believe I want the WET11 to plug into the WAN port of 2nd router. Despite having all three lights lit on the WET11, I can't get it to talk wirelessly in the configuration I want. I have been able to get it to function plugged directly into a PC, proving that the wireless part of the setup (WEP, ssid) has been done correctly. In the web setup for the WET11, I have selected a static IP of 192.168.2.254. Not clear on what the rest of the settings should be, and I am tired of guessing.

Reply to
tns1
Loading thread data ...

Well DHCP should be off on the 11S4 and it should be in router mode. If the

11S4 device IP uses a Static IP on the 54G, then machines using the 11S4 will get their DHCP IP from the 54G. The 11S4 will become a wire/wireless AP switch.

formatting link

I don't know what the WET11 is all about.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

OK, I found I had a firewall problem. I did get this to work after setting the 2nd network to the same domain as the 1st (192.168.1.etc). It does not seem to matter if the BEFW is in gateway or router mode, or if DHCP is enabled or not. The PC always gets its IP from the 54G. I don't think this is what I want. Net1 and Net2 are remote and each can have multiple machines. I don't want Net2 lose all connectivity just because it can't talk to Net1. Isn't there a way for both DHCP servers (routers) to just manage their own machines? I'll set static IPs if I must.

The WET11 is supposed to bridge between networks, wirelessly. From my reading, I had the impression that two routers (one wireless) and a WET11 could connect two different network domains just as my 54G connects the WAN domain from the LAN domain. My main goal is to share the Internet connection remotely while preserving each network's independance. My naive view is that the WET11 connects to the BEFW WAN port. As far as the BEFW is concerned, The WET11 (Network 1) IS the WAN. As far as the 54G is concerned, the WET11 (Network 2) is just some other client. The WET11's job is to support both views.

Reply to
tns1

tns1 wrote in news:Bz8fe.14790$tp.11477@fed1read04:

Well that's what I was told that should be done on the 11S4 when making it a switch and connecting it to another router like I did. I also worked the gateway mode too. But Linksys Tech support indicated to use router mode and not gateway mode since it was no longer a *router* acting as a gateway device.

Well from what I understand, you can plug the WAN port of the 11S4 into the UPlink port of the 54G (I'll assume the 54g has an UPLink port) and both routers will use their own DHCP servers and the 11S4 can still access the Internet through the 54G and the two will be separated. You'll have to check on that as I have never done it.

You could do the same thing with the 11S4 as a switch to by having a device IP subnet mask that is not the same as the subnet mask as the 54G and still get an IP from the gateway 54G and the separation will still be there. But again, I have never done it as I didn't want the separation due to a print server I had on the gateway FW appliance and also wanted to do resource sharing between the wire Ethernet FW appliance and the

11S4 that was a wire Ethernet and wireless AP switch.

As for the WET11, I couldn't tell you man as I have never had the need to use one. But it may be that you possibly don't need it.

You can always contact Linksys Tech Support.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.