WRT54G v5.1 vpn issue

Guys,

I have WRT54G v5.1 router connected to cable modem at home. I use my laptop to wirelessly connect all works fine. However when i try to vpn into work i get error 619. When i connect the laptop directly to the cable box i can vpn to problem. I believe there is issue with this router and vpn i have tried one suggestion of upgrading firmware still no joy.

Can anyone help.

Many thanks

Ismail

Reply to
Ismail
Loading thread data ...

Ismail hath wroth:

Been there, many times. You probably have double NAT running, where you translate IP addresses in BOTH your unspecified model cable "box" and your WRT54G. If the cable "box" is a router, there's your problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Sorry about half an answer. I got interrupted.

You will need to disclose the cable "box" maker and model number to supply a usable fix. It would also be interesting to know the version number of the firmware you're using. Numbers, not prose.

If the cable "box" is a cable modem, then it should work as expected. There may be something wrong with the WRT54G setup or firmware. The only way to be sure is to try it with a different model router.

If the cable "box" is a cable router, then you probably have double NAT setup. Leave the cable "box" alone. Switch the WRT54G to act as an access point instead of a wireless router. Instructions here:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The cable box is modem only. I changed my router last weekend and the old worked fine it was a dlink (forgot model no sorry) The router firmware which i upgraded yesterday is WRT54GSv5_v1_50_9

Regards

Ismail

Reply to
Ismail

Oops forgot cable modem model Scientific atlanta 2100 - EPC2100R2 2.1

Regards

Ismail

Reply to
Ismail

Ismail hath wroth:

Huh? Wrong firmware version. The latest firmware for the WRT54GS v5.1 is 1.52.2. See:

I don't know where you found that but please get your firmware updates from the manufacturers web pile, not some download site.

Also, make sure that the VPN passthrough boxes on this page:

are all checked.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

My mistake the firmware version which i pulled down from link sys uk is v1.50.9 i have just downloaded the latest version from url you sent. I am currently running cisco web vpn session and using remote into client server ( all works fine ) once I am done i will get the latest firmware up hopefully that should sort the problem. With regards to passthrough settings they are as per the link you sent.

Regards

Ismail

Reply to
Ismail

Jeff,

Applied the latest firmware still no joy. One thing though I have a vpn connection to one of our hosting providers and I can connect to that no problem. I can also vpn using cisco web client i am begining to suspect something is a miss with work vpn. Is there anything particulary that i could work network guys to look at that may need tweaking?

Regards

Ismail

Reply to
Ismail

Nope. My mistake. I didn't know you were in the UK. The current UK version is 1.50.9:

There are differences in regulatory issues (frequency and power) between UK and US versions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

Im taking the damn thing back and getting different model. Many thanks for your patience and help.

Regards

Ismial

Reply to
Ismail

Jeff,

I bought a belkin forgot model number the range on it was dire. Also with remote desktop connections via vpn the connection would freeze. So i took that back yesterday and got me a netgear rangemax wpn 824. Range is perfect does everything i need with plenty of extra functions like parental controls and it looks mint. Finally four routers later im up and running!!!!!!!

Ismail

Reply to
Ismail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.