wrt54g v5.0 need to find routers DHCP IP address - linux

I just bought my dad a WRT54G hardware version 5.0 over Christmas. He has a dynamic IP address and Im trying to figure out how to read that information off the router and have the linux box email me when it changes so I can keep a remote file updated to access that computer whenever it changes.

My questions are:

1. Ive seen that linksys has 3rd party firmware versions that do all sorts of things, specifically SNMP logging (it appears the standard logging does not log via SNMP anymore? (If Im wrong, please advise)).

1. Are there firmware versions for the newest hardware version 5.0 yet?

2. If indeed the logging facility logs someplace, what protocol does it use now? I had an older linksys box and it asked me what IP addr to send the log files to.

1. Does this log information tell me the DHCP address of the box everytime it changes?

I see tons of windblowz applications but not as much for linux. Any pointers/help/links are much appreciated.

Reply to
Jeff
Loading thread data ...

Yes, looking for WAN IP. Thats very cool about dyndns.org

I assume since this is a new hardware version, someone will come up with the firmware for it soon I hope (aside from linksys of course).

Thank you, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Are you looking for the wan ip of the router or the lan ip of his computer.

If you are looking for the wan ip address of the router, I'm not sure about V5, but v4 supports dynamic dns. All you would have to do is get a free ddns from

formatting link
enter appropriate username and password in the router and you would always be able to find his system ip address by pinging his ddns name for example:

ping dadssytem.dyndns.org

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Sorry, should read closer, you are looking for routers wan address, also in my previous post it should read "find his routers address" not "system address".

Reply to
Ian

I just downloaded and looked at the manual for V5. It shows that ddns is available on the V5. It is on the main setup screen under ddns tab.

It comes with the standard Linksys firmware.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.