WRT54G issues

To recap: Desktop and Linksys WRT54G router on 3rd floor, about above Winbook laptop on 1st floor. Laptop mostly connects OK. Better, since SSID was changed from default, in case we were getting interference from nearby similar routers with same default SSID. But:

-Speed varies from 5.5Mb to 50+Mb, sometimes over short time periods.

-Signal strength varies from Very Low to Very Good. Speed and Strength do not necessarily correlate. I can get Fast and Low signal, or Slow with Good signal.

Laptop disconnects , or won't connect when it's turned on, at various unpredictable times. Perhaps most often around 5-7 PM. A techie told me that might be due to businesses closing and turning alarms on, tho other than a couple of small stores, this is residential for several blocks around.

Last night it disconnected. But while disconnected, I right clicked the netwok icon (the little TV-looking icon) in the lower right system try, then clicked "Available network connection" (or some such name), bringing up window titled something like "Available connections"> This showed my router connection, with a bar-type graph in top-right corner showing (when cursor pointed at it) Signal Strength:Very Good! This, while laptop was *not* connected!

Is there a chance that the problem is with the laptop wireless card or setup? Laptop and router both bought last September. So they're warranteed for another month or two, so I'd like to get this fixed.

Or is the just a location/communication problem between router and laptop. Heck, it's only about 20-25 feet and two floors between them.

Any ideas appreciated.

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche
Loading thread data ...

Thanks. I've used various antenna positions, including yours. I'll go back to it...both are about horizontal now.

I thought about the router on 2nd floor - there is a connection there. But the 3rd floor desktop is not wireless. It's wired to the router, which feeds off the cable modem. I don't want to move modem-router and buy wireless setup for the desktop.

There is no data outlet on 1st floor.

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Taking a moment's reflection, Avalanche mused: | | To recap: Desktop and Linksys WRT54G router on 3rd floor, about above | Winbook laptop on 1st floor.

Any reason the router isn't on the same floor at the wireless client? If you have wireless clients on the 3rd floor, can you split the difference, and mount the router on the second floor? Other option is to point one antennae horizontal to the floor ...

__ / ... like so.

Your problem is most likely signal absorbtion and reflection. The suggestions above may help.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Avalanche mused: | | I thought about the router on 2nd floor - there is a connection there. | But the 3rd floor desktop is not wireless. It's wired to the router, | which feeds off the cable modem. I don't want to move modem-router and | buy wireless setup for the desktop.

If money isn't a huge problem, you could try putting an access point (WAP54G) on the second floor with the same SSID, but different channel than the router on the third floor. This would allow the outer to stay put, and allow roaming for the wireless clients on all floors ... plus should improve the signal for those on the first floor.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, mhicaoidh mused: | | This would allow the outer to stay put...

Sorry, should be "router" not "outer" ...

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.