WRT54G Intermittent transmission/reception?

Broadcast SSID if not currently doing so. What is the other OS and wireless NICs?

Q
Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

In very simplest terms:

I have a Linksys WRT54G up-and-running just fine on my XP PC. But, the two XP laptops I am trying to set up on a wireless network only intermittently "find" the network. I can "Refresh Network List" as many times as I like, but only occasionally will either laptop find the network and, by the time I've tried entering the appropriate network key, it would seem that the connection is lost again.

Any suggestions?

Ellis

Reply to
Jill & Ellis

Possible interference. See:

"Minimizing 802.11 Interference Issues" at .

"Stop the interference!"

Reply to
John Navas

Is the signal strength "Good" or better?

If not try

formatting link
This fixed my intermittent problem

Reply to
Philip

I have two wrt54g's by the way and they were really killing me. Sounds like interference to me also, I bought some new 5.5 dbi antennas and replaced the 3 dbi antennas it comes with now. I get access all the way down the street. Here is the antenna I am talking about.

formatting link

Reply to
Michael A Cooper

Would those antennae go on the router end of things, or on the recipient's external USB antenna?

The router is owned by the Town Hall, but pushes a signal out for villagers' use. Sometimes the signal is quite low. The DLink external USB on the recipients' computer is on a 5 metre USB cable on a pole on the roof that can be rotated, encased on three sides and above within a small box (the open side facing the council's antenna, of course.

Reply to
Tristán White

They will work at either. The recipient and the router. You can put one on both at the same time too.

In my situation I have it on the router only.

Reply to
Philip

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.