WRT54G flakey after upgrade to V4.30.5

Hello.

Anyone experiencing problems with their WRT54G (mine is a v1.1) after upgrading the firmware from 3.x to 4.30.5? First I thought it was wireless access management config problems as it appeared to clear up after disabled wireless security. Now the problem is back and its so odd. I can ping the default router, but I don't seem to be getting DNS resolution. I had to plug my comcast router directly to my laptop to get an internet connection. I can connect to the router just fine and get an address via dhcp, but I can't get any further.

I went over to linksys.com, did some tech support searches, but nothing turned up. I thought about live chat but there are 60 people in the queue and I have to go out. So I'd thought I post something here (after doing some keyword searches of the group via googlegroups). TIA for any info and peace out.

Reply to
Ukeluver
Loading thread data ...

"Ukeluver" hath wroth:

Are you using WEP encryption? If you are using WEP encryption, please use the Hex encryption key (10 or 26 chars) and not the ASCII encryption key.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Unless you have a reason such as a firmware was released to fix a known problem or some security update, then one should think about doing any upgrade. If it's not broke, then you don't fix it.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

That's one theory of firmware management. I have been upgrading the firmware since I got it, with no other troubles. I have any older version of the firmware saved, so I can go back to v 3.xsomething or just buy a new one. They have dropped in price about 60% since I received this one.

Thinking back, I can't recall if the router was actually having these problems before the upgrade. It had lost its settings a few times for no apparent reason, requiring a re-config. So there is a history of flakiness with this thing.

Reply to
Ukeluver

I don't have WEP or any security enabled. I should have said that I had disabled wireless security. Actually, I had configured wireless MAC filter to only allow the 2 PCs I have. I disabled that. I've been too lazy to configure actual security : 0

I want to see what Linksys/cisco has to say about this. My spouse says that they probably plan the whole useful life of these things so that you burn them out and have to replace them every so many years. I'm not that cynical!

Reply to
Ukeluver

"Ukeluver" hath wroth:

No problem. Linksys techs sometimes answer questions on the Linksys forum on DSLReports.

formatting link
Linksys are also available:
formatting link

There's an internal timer inside that's set to blow up something immediately after the warranty expires. See various conspiracy theory forums for the details.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 2 Dec 2006 14:40:04 -0800, "Ukeluver" wrote: : Hello. : : Anyone experiencing problems with their WRT54G (mine is a v1.1) after : upgrading the firmware from 3.x to 4.30.5? First I thought it was : wireless access management config problems as it appeared to clear up : after disabled wireless security. Now the problem is back and its so : odd. I can ping the default router, but I don't seem to be getting DNS : resolution. I had to plug my comcast router directly to my laptop to : get an internet connection. I can connect to the router just fine and : get an address via dhcp, but I can't get any further. : : I went over to linksys.com, did some tech support searches, but nothing : turned up. I thought about live chat but there are 60 people in the : queue and I have to go out. So I'd thought I post something here : (after doing some keyword searches of the group via googlegroups). TIA : for any info and peace out.

If you haven't already done so, try resetting to factory settings and reconfiguring from scratch. I don't recall having the problem you describe with that model, but the latest (I think) rev to the superficially similar WAP54G will partially clobber your settings. (One of the consequences is that the AP can no longer be managed from a different subnet.) The solution was a hardware reset. Try it on your router; you may get lucky.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 01:41:50 GMT, "Mr. Arnold6" wrote: : Ukeluver wrote: : > Hello. : > : > Anyone experiencing problems with their WRT54G (mine is a v1.1) after : > upgrading the firmware from 3.x to 4.30.5? First I thought it was : > wireless access management config problems as it appeared to clear up : > after disabled wireless security. Now the problem is back and its so : > odd. I can ping the default router, but I don't seem to be getting DNS : > resolution. I had to plug my comcast router directly to my laptop to : > get an internet connection. I can connect to the router just fine and : > get an address via dhcp, but I can't get any further. : > : > I went over to linksys.com, did some tech support searches, but nothing : > turned up. I thought about live chat but there are 60 people in the : > queue and I have to go out. So I'd thought I post something here : > (after doing some keyword searches of the group via googlegroups). TIA : > for any info and peace out. : > : : Unless you have a reason such as a firmware was released to fix a known : problem or some security update, then one should think about doing any : upgrade. If it's not broke, then you don't fix it.

It can be very difficult to tell how broke a piece of electronic gear is. Nine times out of ten the safer course is to upgrade. (Try it on one router, obviously, before you upgrade a dozen.)

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:33:13 -0500, Robert Coe wrote in :

2nd the motion. Excellent advice. Good idea with most any product after a firmware upgrade.
Reply to
John Navas

I disagree. Software/firmware and the electronic parts of a router are two different things. Software is buggy, because a Human Being has written it. We are not perfect so nothing we do is perfect. There is always the chance of changing something is not a good thing.

If it's not broke, then you don't fix it is the wise move in most things. I have been down the path of changing firmware on a router just to be changing firmware, because I saw a new one, only to go back to the previous version.

I learned long ago not to be changing the firmware, unless I was forced to do so, to prevent unknown problems.

Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

You should check that the router still has your MAC address cloned. I had that problem once with a Linksys, it lost that setting. Putting it back to the same as my PC MAC id fixed it.

Starting from scratch with factory defaults is also a good idea.

If you enjoy flashing your router you might try one of the open source firmwares such as OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Chris Mcnally

Hi, Agreed. Logic tells me if upgrading makes the router flaky then go back down to old firmware. I don't upgrade anything because there is upgrade when things are working well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

------ Even after the complete reset, the router kept flaking out. So I replaced it with a Netgear, which is running solid. These cable routers were worth spending alot of time with when they were $150.00. Now that you can get one for $39.99, it's not worth it. My time and sanity are worth more!

Reply to
Ukeluver

Hi, So updating firmware caused the router go flaky? Then logic tells me to go back down to previous version firmware. Or you could load 3rd party firmware, dd-wrt which is rubust.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

When I sat down and thought about it, the router had been acting flakey before the upgrade . . .disconnects; not "remembering" it's settings and so forth. So the upgrade was not the cause.

thanks for the dd-wrt suggestion. I knew those things existed but I didn't know how to go about finding them.

Reply to
Ukeluver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.