WRT54G clones?

Just curious, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a WRT54G 'compatable' router? These routers seem to be the only cheap ones that you can do anything interesting with because of different firmwares out there. I wondered if someone has tried to make a compatable box that these firmwares can also be loaded on.

In short, could the WRT54G(S) become the IBM PC of routers????

Reply to
PW Herman
Loading thread data ...

The OpenWRT project lists "compatible" routers in their FAQ that will work with their replacement firmware. See:

formatting link

I doubt it. Linksys is reaping a mixed blessing with their release of open source code for their routers. They sell a considerable number of these because they are popular with the hackers. However, their return rate and failed bios butchery rate has also increased the support load and return rate. I don't know what Linksys is planning, but my guess(tm) is that the next generation of routers (802.11i) will again revert to proprietary with no source code available. Linksys may also do the unexpected and release supported open source firmware for their products. There may be some nitch vendors that supply WRT54G compatible routers, but I don't think they can keep their costs down. Dunno. My crystal ball has been wrong before, and others may suddenly start selling compatible boxes if Linksys decides to discontinue the WRT54G series.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.