wrt54g changing speed

Currently I have a network setup that around 20 people use. The way it is set up, there is a cable modem which goes to a wrt54g ver.2 router (we'll call this router #1). From this router, it goes to another wrt54g ver.2 router (router #2) which is set to router mode (as opposed to gateway). Also, from the first router (router #1) there is another connection to a third wrt54g router ver. 4 (router #2). Another connection from router #1 is a linsys 8 port switch (not sure what the model number is right now.) And from that switch is a fourth wrt54g router (router #4).

When the network is first turned on, it runs fine for a little while. But after having it run for a day or so, it starts to slow down. Once you make a connection to d/l a file or somethin, it usually d/ls at ok speeds. The main issue is connecting. It takes long to connect to thing like AIM, or even just trying to connect to webpages to surf the web.

So basically, you start it up, and it runs ok. After a while it slows down and the longer it runs, the more it slows down. I've called linksys and what they told me to do was to change the MTU size to 1100. They didn't sound too confident about this and didn't have any other suggestions as to what may be the problem. I'm trying to get this fixed asap and i'm not really sure where to check anymore.

Reply to
borren2
Loading thread data ...

My opinion only is that you are asking too much of the first router in the chain and of the cable bandwidth as well. If you really need to serve 20 connections you need better than a home-level router at the modem and more available bandwidth at the cable. You should also have a networking professional take a hard look at the network topology to maximize performance, switches versus routers, etc.

In other words, the problem as you describe it is not unusual for home-level routers that are really only designed to serve 4-5 active connections reliably.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Reply to
mstrspy

oops, I didn't get this right. I thought it was Netgear. sorry M

Reply to
mstrspy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.