WRT54G can't get IP address from pppoe server

I'm new to wireless I'm trying to hook up a new LINKSYS wirless -g broadband router to my desktop using win xp os. My note book has a linksys card and can see the router butr I can't get the desktop to hook to the internet.

I'm using Bellsouth fast access and a westell 6100 external modem, I don't know maybe I'm not supose to be trying pppoe, is there a way to use automatic???

I've gone through the setup that comes on the CD and I also went through the simple setup that came with the paperwork.

Any help would be appriciated

thanks

zilla

Reply to
tdubya
Loading thread data ...

Did you turn the modem off, wait a minute and turn it back on? I have the same setup and it works fine, but the modem has to reset when switching from your machine to your router.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Yes, I turned it off and it didn't help, when I go to the linksys status page it still says no connection.

Your us>Did you turn the modem off, wait a minute and turn it back on? I have the

Reply to
tdubya

And you've put your Bellsouth userid/password in and clicked connect? It won't connect automatically the first time.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Reply to
tdubya

OK, here is some new info based on your westel and bellsouth:

The BellSouth Westell modems are specific models made exclusively for BellSouth FastAccess. They are physically and functionally different from retail Westells (or any model designed for use with other ISPs) and the firmware between them are not compatible and can not be interchanged. Built in PPPoE client for connectivity to ISP. -Does not require third party software such as Enternet, RASPPPoE, WinPoet, XP, etc. PPPoE Passthrough capabilities. If you are using a separate PPPoE client the modem will allow the other PPPoE client to negotiate the session transparently. Section Section 2 for more details. Full NAT (Network Address Translation) capabilities Built in DHCP Server (Default Modem IP - 192.168.1.254, Subnet Mask -

255.255.255.0, DHCP Address Range - 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253) Remote Access capabilities Ethernet and USB connectivity. Ethernet is highly recommended, does not require drivers, and is not dependent on any particular OS. USB connectivity requires USB drivers that may not be compatible with all OSs. You can choose one or the other for connectivity but you can not use both simultaneously. Power supply is 12VAC / 1.2-1.67Amps.

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART:

**Attention customers who have or are considering using a router with the Westell. Please see the following tips** 1.. If you are thinking about buying a router don't! The Westell is a router and you can simply use a hub or switch . If you want a wireless network buy an access point . 2.. You may not be able to access the Westell interface when it is connected through another router and must connect the Westell directly to your PC. The modem interface is 192.168.1.254 which is a local IP. By default, most routers do not have the capability to route a local IP out of their WAN port (where your Westell is connected). There are several ways around this problem, but they usually involve extra equipment or major configuration changes. Simply connect modem directly to the NIC, make required changes, then physically reconnect the router. 3.. To avoid connectivity problems when using another router in conjunction with the Westell the DHCP and routing capabilities MUST be turned off in the modem or the router! The best and easiest way is to change the Westell to "Bridged Ethernet"(see
formatting link
for info . Failing to change the modem to Bridged Ethernet may result in double NAT'ing, increased latency, possible IP conflicts, or possibly a network that doesn't work at all. 4.. For instructions on configuring Westells and external routers, please reference these FAQs: See this link for setting up your Linksys Router
formatting link
Standard Default Connection (PPP Passthrough - separate router present) Important Note: Since the Westell has a feature called "PPPoE Passthrough" it is capable of this configuration, however you may cause double NAT'ing, connection problems, or IP conflicts. The preferred method would be "Bridged Ethernet" with a router as described below. Router's PPPoE client used. Username and Password required on router. Do not put your username and password on the modem. Modem has PPP passthrough capabilities. Username and Password on modem must be completely blank. To clear your username and password you must reset the modem using the reset button on the back or through the interface. NIC should be set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". WAN IP address will be on the modem and the router WAN port, and PC NIC will have a locally assigned IP from the router. Requires no changes in configuration to the modem.

Bridged Ethernet (separate router present) *This is the preferred configuration when using a separate external router. Detailed instructions for this mode are available

formatting link
Must use a PPPoE client on the Router. Username and Password required on router. Username and password on the modem will be disabled when you select "bridged ethernet" connection and save the settings. NAT function on modem is disabled. Routing and DHCP functions are assigned to the router. NIC should be set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". WAN IP address will be on the router and PC NIC will have a router assigned local IP address. Requires changes to the modem configuration. Must enter Expert Mode, click on the Configuration button and then click on the Connections button. Enable "bridged ethernet" mode from the Protocol pulldown.

I hope this all helps....

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.