WRT54G as receiver, simplest setup

Thanks to Jeff Lieberman for his help on this thread (which may not show as continuous in Google Groups). I upgraded the firmware on my v.4 WRT54G to DD-WRT version 23. I was thus able to use it as a client for a wireless setup in Mexico and it worked. I didn't see any improvement over a simple Trendnet Cardbus g card in my laptop. In fact the Trendnet was able to see more APs, despite its rudimentary antenna and inability to be moved around much. I suppose I'll need to tweak the settings.

A few notes on my experience:

--although I have a v.4 router, I never had to use a v.4 firmware;

--altogether I upgraded the firmware 4 times (2 of which were errors on my part), not once did I get a message back saying that the firmware had burned successfully;

--I never had to unbrick the unit;

--Some of the instructions at the wiki assumed that the burn was an upgrade from a previous DD-WRT installation. They would refer to pages that didn't exist, or to responses that never came, with factory Linksys firmware;

--I'm not smart enough to find "bugs" in the firmware, but here is a "design flaw". If you change the router from client mode to AP mode, the firmware retains the name of the network you were just connected to as its own name. A better option would be for it to remember and use the most recent AP-mode name.

Reply to
dankoberry
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.