WRT54G as receiver, simplest setup

I'd like to use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router as a signal receiver, attached to a single computer via ethernet LAN. In other words, I'd like to reverse the normal function of the router, connecting to the greater world via wireless, and in the home wired. I believe this is called "client mode" or "AP client mode", or "client AP mode".

I've seen it written that this is possible using third party firmware. What is the best / simplest (and preferably free) firmware to use for this purpose? The person who is setting this up (moi) should be considered a semi-idiot and definitely not a Linux maven, but at least able to type stuff in at the command line and know what a batch file is. However, once this is set up, the users are even less wizard-like and at most would be able to click a link on the desktop after a power outage or other router reset condition. Which could be frequent in the required location.

It would also be handy to be able to boost the power. The tower is nearby and the signal is detectable by a laptop with a PCMCIA wireless card, but usability is sporadic, maybe 60% of the time usable in receiving from the tower, 30% of the time usable in transmitting to the tower.

Is this possible? Win2K, and the WRT54G router is a v.4.

Thanks.

Reply to
jberry
Loading thread data ...

Hi, It would be simpler to use a WET11 or WET54 which connects a wired LAN to a wireless.

Reply to
outbackwifi

Correct. Client mode is used to make the WRT54G act like ummmm... a client radio.

I kinda like DD-WRT. I don't have a huge amound of experience with the others. I've played with Sveasoft Alchemy. It worked but I wanted a few more features found in DD-WRT. You'll find a slightly out of date comparison at: |

formatting link
the verions listed have been updated so don't assume the above to be perfect.

I have no idea. Installing replacement firmware is not rocket science but should be done EXACTLY like the destructions suggest. Doing it wrong will turn your WRT54G into a brick. However, there are "debricking" instructions available, which I unfortunately had to use recently thanks to my impatience and rebooting too early. See: |

formatting link
through the basic instructions and see for yourself if you can handle it. There's quite a bit available on the command line that is not available in the HTML menus. For example, the "wl" command is monsterous: |
formatting link

I won't rant too much, but in my never humble opinion, tweaking the power full blast results in a garbage generator. Somewhat less than full blast is tolerable (barely). In all cases, it's against the FCC rules-n-regs part 15.247.

That might be due to interference. You might get useable results with just a higher gain antenna.

V4 is good. Avoid the WRT54G v5 mutation. The firmware can't be replaced and apparently there are some new and improved bugs.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

About equal, methinks. The WRT54G in client mode is functionally identical to the WET11 and WET54 "wireless bridge" adapters. The difference is that the WRT54G, with alternative firmware, offers substantial control over the connection, statistics, monitoring, sniffing, and tinkering. For example, the "wl" command:

formatting link
formatting link
For operation, the WET11 and WET54 are slightly simpler. The DD-WRT version of the WRT54G firmware has a site survey tool to find access points, and will connect with a simple selection. However, if you try to set it up manually, be prepared for some complexity:
formatting link
Note that all the units mentioned can bridge more than one MAC address. I tested the WET11 a few years ago and found it was limited to 30 MAC addresses. I haven't tried the others.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, Jeff, that looks like good advice.

However, I seem to have found myself in that other world beloved of linux gurus. I found the DD-WRT website, went to the download directory, and faced with a large number of choices, selected the latest beta (2.3 beta 2), which landed me in a directory with something like 70 files, the first 65 or so of which start with the same file names but must differ later in the filename, which is shown in Firefox as ... (3 dots, diresis).

What I want is a Win2K compatible executable (as the firmware burner), and instructions understandable to a linux ignoramus. Yes yes, I can write DOS batch files or 1000-line programs in structured BASIC, but I've never gotten the hang of the *nix world.

Thanks.

Reply to
jberry

Yeah, I know. I ran into the same problem. Since you have a WRT54G, what you want is the English version of 2.3beta2 for the WRT54G with today's build. Note that the date is in european format of DD-MM-YY. That's the file: 18.11.05-dd-wrt.v23.std_beta2.zip (16.7MB) Which is in the middle of the list. The file name appears at the end of the URL line that's displayed at the bottom of the Firefox browser screen. I'm using Firefox 1.5beta3 but I think 1.0.7 should be similar.

When you unzip the mess, you'll get this list of files: 17704 Nov 18 15:54 changelog.txt

3497984 Nov 18 16:28 dd-wrt.v23_asus.trx 3497984 Nov 18 16:28 dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin 3499008 Nov 18 16:28 dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin 3499008 Nov 18 16:28 dd-wrt.v23_wrt54gs.bin 3499008 Nov 18 16:28 dd-wrt.v23_wrt54gsv4.bin 1617 Nov 18 15:49 hwsupport.txt 419 Aug 26 14:51 license.txt 1207 Sep 13 18:17 notes.txt

For your WRT54G, you want the one that ends in wrt54g.bin That's the image file.

Follow the destructions at: |

formatting link
Be sure to read the notes about WRT54v4, which has a problem with the original Linksys firmware. Where I screwed up (twice) is that after the flash upgrade was done, I should have left the machine alone while the router was doing its thing. I should NOT have clicked the "continue" button as it trashed the upgrade. Let it do its thing for about 2-5 minutes. Then, restart.

I can tell you didn't read the install instructions at the above URL that I previously posted. Please RTFM and you'll find that it can all be done from Windoze. Once the new firmware is in place and configured using with the web interface, you can telnet to the router, and mess with the Linux shell prompt command line.

If you can scribble a batch file, you can write a shell script and probably handle most of the Linux commands and incantations. As long as you don't try to do an NVRAM update, there's no way to screw it up that a power cycle won't fix.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Lots of things, to be sure. But all of the WRT54G's that I've seen on the shelves lately have the "push button setup feature" which, I assume, means that they're the non-Linux-based v5 and won't run any of the various alternative firmware. I already run Alchemy on a WRT v1.0, but if it takes a dump, where can I buy a modifiable replacement?

Reply to
emtech

There are some on eBay. The vendors seem to recognize the version issues and are labeling their offerings with the hardware version.

If you check the serial number on the box, you can recognize the hardware version:

WRT54G CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0 CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0 CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1 CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1 CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0 CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2 CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0 CDF9 = WRT53G v3.1 CDFA = WRT54G v4.0 CDFB = WRT54G v5.0 (Does NOT run Linux!!!!)

WRT54GS CGN0 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1 CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0 CGN4 = WRT54GS v2.1 CGN5 = WRT54GS v3.0 CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0

All can be used with DD-WRT except the WRT54G v5.0 which runs VXWorks and has half the memory of previous versions. WRT54G v4 requires some special attention to the size of the firmware image and upgrade proceedure.

A recent expedition to the local retail establishments found only WRT54G v5.0 routers and no WRT54GS boxes on the shelves.

If you happen to talk to Linksys, you might thank them for killing the golden goose and shooting themselves in the foot. If anything, this is evidence that Linksys doesn't have a clue what their customers are doing with their products.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, so much for the new G's, but does this mean that it's safe to buy a current -GS model, if one wants to install DD-WRT or Alchemy?

Maybe the GS boxes have been snapped up by the more savvy shoppers? :)

Reply to
emtech

Sounds like you want to use an AP as a client.

Just change a setting in the AP to make it act as a client.

Use a better antenna.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Doubful.. I Just picked one up at WALMART (GS - Version 1, $54.95)... They had hundreds of em on the shelf. Can't equate walmart shoppers with savvy shoppers... :) (Hey! I shop there, I'm allowed to make fun of myself)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes, although there's a bit of an ordeal process required to flash the WRT54GSv4 incantation:

formatting link

Dunno. Santa Cruz, CA does not have too many retail electronics stores. My route of stores that sell Linksys was Office Max, Staples, and Circuit City. No Walmart nearby and not exactly a great selection. They don't stock in depth and frequently run out of almost everything after a sale. Difficult to tell. You should be able to find the older routers if you look (and ask).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Save gas/time/frustration... go to

formatting link
and order it online (that's a whole bunch of the linksys stuff), and have it delivered to your door.... You can also say you never step foot in walmart :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.