WRT54G as a gaming hub

Hey all :)

Im planning a gaming meet with some of my friends and plan to use xbox 360's and system link.

The topography will be 8 systems split into two seperate rooms. One of my friends has an 8 port hub which I know will work .. but that means quite a bit of long network cable.

Heres my questions ....

Is there a way if I took my router (the WRT54G) and used that to build the LAN. Then those who had the wifi connector would not need any cables ... thus limiting the mess and hassle.

Thanks

Reply to
Plebism
Loading thread data ...

"Plebism" hath wroth:

You don't want a hub. You want a switch. The hub will send all the traffic on any port to all the other ports. Lots of exess taffic that you don't need or want. Use an "ethernet switch" instead.

Sure. The WRT54G has 4 LAN ethernet switched ports that you can plug users into. This can be expanded with an external ethernet switch box (not a hub or dual-speed hub) to add additional wired users. The wireless users can simply connect to the WRT54G via wireless. On the LAN side of the WRT54G, the wireless users look exactly as if they were plugged into the ethernet switch ports.

One gotcha is that the WRT54G has a feature called "AP isolation" on the Wireless page. Turn if OFF or the wireless users will not be able to see each other.

You didn't mention anything about the internet connection, but it should be a no brainer. Just plug whatever you have into the WAN(internet) port on the WRT54G. The gaming (LAN) side should work whether you have an internet connection or not.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for all of the above :)

There is no net connection, just the gaming consoles - so should work well

Cheers :D

Reply to
Plebism

It would be cool to setup the match all over wifi. Linksys gear should be fit for it. I'm assuming you got all the clients setup with PCI or PCMCIA (for laptops) cards. I'm not into gaming - if the xbox is a WiFi client itself, then you are all set!

Just also bear in mind that if you have a thick wall separating the 2 rooms, the gamers in the room with the router may have a predictable advantage in performance (less chance of any bits dropping off, quality of signal etc).

If you want to fit your WRT-54 with an antenna (TNC type), go for

formatting link
Have fun!

Reply to
c24

any websites sayng were theres wifi im in new york city manhattan some parks have it however not safe at night and with id theft out there dont want to provide my ss number to any internet company

Reply to
jeuse loves you

i notice most boardband comanys demand ss numbers im looking for a company to use boardband without my ss number theres no pay as you go plains and i rather pay up front without credit checks ss umbers but no luck anyoe no any company if not guess i use webtv to i die lot id theft not willing to provide a number for service

turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things and revive me in your way psalm chapter 119 vs 37

Reply to
jeuse loves you

Try Octanews

formatting link

Louie

Reply to
Louie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.