WRE54G Wireless Extender -- Any tips?

WRE54G Version 3. Can't tell what the firmware is because I can't HTTP to

192.168.1.240. I've tried a number of ways to get this thing to work, and when I get it working, it doesn't work for very long before it goes completely brain dead and I have to start all over again. When it works, it does a good job of boosting the signal, but only to a very limited range -- not more than 20 feet. Before I elaborate further, should I just return this for something better? Or does anyone have experience with it that could help me?

Thank you.

Reply to
The Walrus
Loading thread data ...

Hmmm, Ever tried a different power adapter for it?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It comes with two -- one for a rack mount and another for straight in the outlet. When I use the one that plugs straight in I get no signal at all. I am finding that if you put a wireless router or an extender right up next to a wall the signal goes to nothing. I'm still learning this stuff. I still don't know shit.

Reply to
The Walrus

"The Walrus" hath wroth:

Welcome to the joy of wireless incompatibility. Wireless repeaters (also known as range extenders) are not clearly specified in the

802.11a/b/g specifications. The result is considerable creativity among chipset vendors and manufacturers. Incompatibility is epidemic and none of these repeaters work with every possible wireless access point or wireless router. In general, the repeater has to use the same chipset as the wireless access point or wireless router. Since you didn't mention what other hardware you have, I can't offer any info on this.

There may be something defective here, as you're not having problems between the WRE54G and the wireless router, but between your unspecified model wireless client computer and the WRE54G. That should not be happening as this part of the link is not subject to chipset incompatiblities. My best guesses are that you haven't updated the WRE54G firmware, haven't updated whatever driver is running your unspecified client computer, or have one hell of an interference problem which is causing the range problem. I can't tell from here without a description of your setup.

Manually Setting Up the Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander For V3 For pre-v3

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I discovered this link after I wrote the original message. I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow.

The unspecified router is a LinkSys WRT54GS with updated firmware.

I was only able to log into the extender one time, and in the middle of making some changes it crapped out and died on me.

As far as I can tell, this particular extender is great at picking up the signal from the far side of the house, but it doesn't repeat beyond one wall -- just plain old inside-the-house drywall. I'm trying to reach two rooms, but this particular extender is only good for one. That's a problem.

Reply to
The Walrus

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 00:47:34 -0400, "The Walrus" wrote in :

Have you considered power line networking instead?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.