WRE54G Linksys Wireless Range Extender

I went to Linksys.com site and saw there was an update from 1.04.17 to a version 2.01.12

formatting link
I could not upgrade to 2.01.12 this since when attempting the Range Extender said "Wrong Firmware Upgrade". The file was about 930k and ended in hdr.

Okay, so then in looking around the Linksys.org site, I found a firmware upgrade from 1.04.17 to 1.06.05. I downloaded this file that ended in .trx and the upgrade was fine.

formatting link

How do I get to firmware level 2.01.12 per Linksys website that lists upgrades for the WRE54G?????? The filename does not end in .trx and WRE54g will not accept it.

Thanks!!!! Peter

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

That won't work. There are two hardware mutations of the WRE54G. There's v1.0 and v2.0 hardware. Methinks you probably have V1 where the highest version is 1.06.05

V1.0 downloads:

formatting link
V2.0 downloads:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I was kind of thinking that too. Strange they use a different file extenstion with the newer version.

Thanks. Peter

Reply to
Peter

Not so strange. Methinks it's a good idea. It's an easy way for the TFTP program to distinguish between appropriate files for each hardware version. Uploading the wrong firmware is usually catastrophic. The files are actually binary images of the firmware and traditionally have a .bin file extension. However, there is nothing unique about the extension, as other programs don't need to recognize the files and literally anything may be used.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.