WPA-PSK supplicant for Win98

I have an older P3 (Win98) box for the kids to pound on. I have it streamlined, simplified, tweaked out, ect, to be as kid-proof as possible. "CD"'s are kept on a file server as .ISO's, so it needs to talk on the LAN. Its in a position where running cable wouldn't be practical.

Its using a D-Link DWL-AG530 (PCI) wireless card. It doesn't look like MS ever, or will ever, put out an 802.11x (WPA-PSK) supplicant for Win98.as they did for XP.

D-Link has one, but it is for their DWL-G520. I gave it a try, but it doesn't seem to work with the DWL-AG530. It install just fine, is visable in network properties, but doesn't want to bind with the DWL-AG530. It doesn't even appear when you attempt to manually bind it either. Haven't dug into specs, but my speculation is that the DWL-AG530 may be a different chipset (Athereos?) than the DWL-G520 -- even though the model numbers are so similiar. Oddly enough though, this supplicant does worth with more than a few Linksys cards under Win98! (In fact, I found this applicant from a deja search and discovering a post from someone reporting it worked with their Linksys card.)

(This is a D-Link site.) http://203.126.164.140/FAQ/view.asp?prod_id=1402&question=supplicant Any others out there?

TIA

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

Well, I'll be damned. Its working now.

I was still deja'ing while starting this thread and found a message regarding "strong" passphrases not working.

Went through mine and changed out some characters that I thought "might" be giving a problem (for no real reason), such as .'s , ~'s , ü's (u with umlaut), ect...

Now it works. Go figure.

Passphrase still has ^'s , |'s , `'s, ect. Maybe it umlaut that it didn't like (?). The Germans will be upset.

In Network Properties, the 802.1x protocol (WPA-PSK supplicant) still doesn't show itself binded with the card, but the card does show itself binded with 802.1x.

Strange. Oh well, it works. :^)

Reply to
Eric

DWL-AG530 uses Atheros AR5212 chipset.

DWL-G520 uses Atheros AR5002 chipset.

DWL-G520+ uses TI ACX111 chipset.

Any simularily in model numbers is purely coincidental and probably a conspiracy on the part of marketing to confuse the customers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.