WPA passphrase

I am getting started with wireless networking using a Sonicwall TZ-150 and a "living room" device, a Netgear EVA700.

Here is something I would like to understand about the WPA passphrase.

The TZ-150 has a nasty bug. It will misbehave if the Wi-Fi radio is turned off, then back on. The only work-around I know of is to reboot the box.

I have been working around this as follows. When I am not planning to do any wireless traffic, I change the WPA passphrase on the TZ-150. I change it to a maximum length (64 characters) garbage string.

The EVA700 in my living room apparently never sleeps. Even when it is turned off, it occasionally communicates with the TZ-150.

I was surprised to see that the TZ-150 continues to communicate with the EVA700, even after I change the passphrase. The TZ-150 GUI has a readout of "Station Status" that shows wireless clients. I can "Delete All" from this list. Within minutes, the EVA700 is back on the list of wireless clients! This, after I have changed the WPA passphrase. I certainly did not give the new passphrase to the EVA700. In fact, I doubt I could punch it in without error.

Even after I restart the TZ-150, the EVA700 is still connected! So what is the deal here? It appears that the passphrase is not a simple password, like an ISP uses.

Reply to
David Arnstein
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:55:22 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Arnstein) wrote in :

The deal is that a wireless client can "connect" even without proper security, but still can't use the wireless network.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.