WPA on Quickertek(Ralink) card on Mac Powerbook not working

Intriguing problem. Maybe someone can help diagnose it, or tell me where to look. I have a Quickertek b/g PCMCIA card for wireless on my Powerbook G4 (the internal Apple Airport is going flakey.) It works perfectly in normal mode. I can't get it to work in secure (encrypted WPA) mode. It's not the router's problem -- that does work fine in WPA with the airport card (I'm close enough right now the flakiness doesn't matter.) Network status for the port is yellow, "PCI Ethernet Slot PC Card is currently active. PCI Ethernet Slot PC Card has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

Network interface (en2) info says link speed 54Mb, link status active

-- 0 packets sent or received, 0 errors

The card's "link" light is green (I believe this means it's connected fine). The utility for the card says it is connected to the router.

Linksys WRT54G

it is configured using DHCP; when I renew the lease I get

169.254.189.228 (which has no relation to anything!)

I tried setting the IP address manually to what it's been getting from DHCP; that didn't help. Running 10.4.11.

I'm afraid I don't expect much help from Quickertek -- they don't even have the most current software from Ralink, but I'll give them a try.

Ted Lee Minnetonka, MN

Reply to
Ted Lee
Loading thread data ...

Now even more intriguing -- now it's working! I could not possibly reconstruct what I did, although one of the things I tried was deliberately entering the wrong password to see what that did, and cycling power on the card (there's a "radio off/radio on" button in the "advanced" settings) at one point. very strange! I haven't tried a complete shut down/ restart cycle, but it has successfully made it through a sleep/wake cycle, which did require it to re- initiate the connection.

Ted Lee Minnetonka, MN

Reply to
Ted Lee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.