WPA and Linksys Wireless Access Point

Hi all,

and please forgive me if this topic has been addressed, there are SO MANY messages here I can't tell ;)

Anyway, I have a Linksys 54G wireless router as well as a Linksys 54G wireless access point.

I am trying to change my security from WEP to WPA. I am able to get both pieces working on WPA and they talk to each other.

However, once the "time limit" expires (currently set for 600 seconds), the router will no longer talk to the wireless access point.

I have a small wired network behind the wireless access point, which is currently acting as a repeater for my internet access (because of the shape of my house, I can't hook directly to the router, I am using only the wireless portion of the router).

I have 1 PC and a network printer behind the wireless access point and then I have a MAC using wireless and 3 other PCs upstairs, all wireless.

Once the WPA key (or whatever it is called) time expires, I can no longer access the internet with anything other than the MAC.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any suggestions.

jack

Reply to
Jack Broyles Jr
Loading thread data ...

Jack Broyles Jr hath wroth:

No, you are not forgiven. You should know better. The Google Groups search works very nicely. Start at:

Insert "alt.internet.wireless" into the Group box. Insert your search key and you'll find your topic. However, for this problem, there's very little to be found. Using just the main google search page, and looking for "WPA rekey interval", I find several relevent pages.

No, you don't have a "Linksys 54G". You have a model number inscribed on the serial number tag. Kindly supply the exact model numbers and include any hardware versions. Extra credit for looking at the status page and supplying the firmware version.

However, you also seem to have left out the maker and model of the client radios. Could I trouble to disclose what you're using for a wireless client to communicate with your "Linksys 54G" boxes?

There is no setting for "time limit". It's usually called WPA re-key interval or something similar. It's the amount of time where the two wireless devices exchange new encryption keys. The default is usually

3600 seconds as set by the wireless access point. 600 will work. You can probably set it to less for testing. Some combination have problems with the re-key interval and disconnect when it fails. If your unspecified model router or access point has a log or status page, you'll see the failure in the log file. The usual problem is either a router firmware update is required, or a client WPA shim update is required. Check your version levels and update if necessary.

Well, then the WPA re-key works with the Mac but not with your unspecified other client. Therefore, things are basically working. My guess is that a firmware update on the hardware, and a software update on the PC(?) will fix the problem.

It doesn't. I'm a lost as to how you have things wired and where this "repeater" is located. Again, maker and model number would be useful. It appears that it was working with WEP, so it should work with WPA. However, there's one configuration where WPA will not work. If you have your unspecified pair of Linksys boxes configured for WDS bridging, then WPA and WDS only works on a few models and firmware combinations. Again, maker and model number would be useful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth: (...)

This might help explain if you're trying to use WDS and WPA with the DWL-2100AP:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.