WPA-AES = WPA2 ?

Go to the source:

formatting link
From the English Q&A:

1. Q: How are WPAT and WPA2 similar? A: Both WPA and WPA2 offer a high level of assurance for end-users and network administrators that their data will remain private and access to their network restricted to authorized users.

Both utilize 802.1X and Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) for authentication. Both have Personal and Enterprise modes of operation that meet the distinct needs of the different consumer and enterprise market segments.

1. Q: How are WPA and WPA2 different?

A: WPA2 provides a stronger encryption mechanism through Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), which is a requirement for some corporate and government users.

Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

There does seem to be some difference in WPA2 and WPA which extends beyond AES usage. Routers now have options for WPA with and without AES and also WPA2 with or without AES. So AES encryption is not the only diffenence. It is not at all clear to me, but I believe that WPA incorporates some of the 802.11i standards but was developed before the

802.11i standards were finalized. So perhaps WPA has slightly weaker authentication?
Reply to
Jerry Park

Hello,

I have one question about WPA2. Are WPA compatible devices that use AES instead of TKIP WPA2 compatible? I don't think so, but some people told me so. So can anyone clear this issue for me?

Thanks

Radoslav

Reply to
Radoslav Sirota

instead of TKIP WPA2 compatible?

I thought wpa2 was AES. How are you getting wpa to work with aes? You shouldn't be able to. It should only work with tkip. WPA 2 devices should have a setting to go with wpa tkip. I have a linksys router, a dlink router, and a linksys usb adapter. I also have a built in non-standard wireless adapter in my laptop that I do not use because it will only work under the wpa tkip setting. Now if I set my router under WPA tlik, there is no problem.

So the simple and direct question to your answer is .....no.

Reply to
Toxic Boy

That should read "answer to your question." Ooops.

Reply to
Toxic Boy

And you're still able to connect with the network? If so, then go into your router properties and see what is has the connection listed as. In my properties, it says wpa tkip even if I set it in Windows to be AES.

That is still right.

Reply to
Gofer Jones

I've got ASUS 107g PCMCIA that does not support WPA2 (according to datasheet), but I am able to select WPA with AES encryption instead of TKIP. I am using it with ASUS WL-500g deluxe running OpenWRT - with the same combination of WPA and AES.

So this is the reason why I am confused, becouse I thought that WPA uses TKIP and WPA2 AES.

Thanks

Radoslav

Reply to
Radoslav Sirota

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.