wltrysvc and Found new hardware

I have just reinstalled a Belkin wireless PCNCIA laptop card. I now find upon starting the computer that it has 'Found New Hardware' and it wants to install the software for 'WLTRYCVS'.

Tried contacting Belkin and heard nothing back.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

SteveTBM

Reply to
SteveTBM
Loading thread data ...

Could I trouble you to disclose the model number of the Belkin Wireless PCMCIA card?. If I had that information, I could download the driver for your unspecified operating system, and look though the list of files to see if there is such a driver. You could probably do the same thing.

Well, lets pretend it's NOT one of the files in the Belkin driver install. That means it's either:

1. A temporary file created by the installation script (which I doubt).
  2. Spyware, virus, worm, or trojan horse. These tend to generate random filenames to avoid anti-virus and anti-spyware software.

My favorite question for support is "What's the latest driver version?" They usually don't know.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Got it. Thanks.

Using Google, I find:

formatting link
it's part of the Broadcom chip driver. Methinks it's the program that shows the signal strength in the system tray. That should be safe to install or reinstall. I downloaded the driver and tried to list the files inside the Installshield CAB archives. Winzip won't says they're not in standard format, so I can't easily check if the program is really in the archive.

My guess(tm) is that there's something broken in the driver install. There's always an issue as to whether the card or the drivers are installed first. I suggest you:

1. Remove the card.
  2. Uninstall the drivers.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Create a System Restore "restore point".
  5. Run a cleanup utility to completely vaporize all temporary and junk files. I like "Crap Cleaner":
    formatting link
    Download a fresh driver from the Belkin web pile.
  6. Install the driver.
  7. Plug in the card.

If you think you've made a unrecoverable mess, then use the System Restore utility to roll the operating system back to where it was before you installed the Belkin card.

I've said some not very nice things about Belkin in the past. There's more wrong than just support.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sony Vaio FX401 OS is XP SP2. Belkin card is 'Wireless G notebook network card' F5D7011

I feel confident that it is neither a virus, worm etc. However, I notice that I have misspelt the file. It should be 'wltrysvc' (I did get it right in the header!)

To be honest, I usually have good fortune with company support however Belkin can't be bothered to even acknowledge my query.

Cheers,

SteveTBM

Reply to
SteveTBM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.